Different Timothy Hay Brands Dangerous?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
Is itremotely possible for different brands of the same hay type (e.g., timothy hay) to upset a megacolon bunny's tummy? Zoe hasreceivedreceived Oxbow hay for most of her life (with Zupreem's Nature's Promise occasionally, and Zupreem when nothing else was available).

Zoeand Emma are working through a 9-lb. bag of Oxbow timothy hay now, but I'm considering trying another brand (e.g., Sweet Meadow). Zoe's also undergoing her umpteenth treatment for GI stasis; so I alsodon't want to hurt herrecovery by possibly upsetting her gut with a different brand of hay.

Thanks,

Jenk

I've never had a problem. It's all the same species of grass so it should be very similar no matter where it is grown, just some minor differences from the soil conditions and depending on how good/bad the season was for hay.

Just to be on the safe side, since she is so sensitive, mix the new hay in with the old to introduce it slowly.

naturestee wrote:
Just to be on the safe side, since she is so sensitive, mix the new hay in with the old to introduce it slowly.

Ahh... Yes. Thank you for that suggestion, which I'll definitely use. I think tha tthe only way to test Zoe's digestive system is to do so very slowly.

My husband just said last night that we should keep Zoe on timothy hay for a few more weeks, part of which she'll still spend taking several medications. When things are more calm, we'll very slowly re-introduce one veggie type at a time, such as parsley. And when I mean slowly, I'm talking one or two leaves per day for several days; I need to be able to catch any negative reaction of her ASAP.

Whenyou start her on veggies again, try mint. It's really good for upset tummies so it might be good for her. I drink herbal mint tea for IBS all the time. Sometimes it's easier to find fresh mint in Asian grocery stores, or grow some in a pot. It's really easy. Just don't put it in a garden because it WILL take over!

Latest posts

Back