different brands of pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maukin

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of "Big Red Rabbit's Choice Rabbit Food"? Is it decent stuff? I got a bag of the 15% protein and have ordered a bag of the 18%. Growing Flemmish Giants can do well on that high a protein I hear.

Opinions?

18% protein is really high. I know some people use 17% for Flemish and angoras. I don't breed and haven't used it, but since too much protein can cause cecal issues and poor quality fur, I would be wary.

Do you know what the other nutrient percentages are? Fiber should be at least 18% although sometimes that's hard to find in alfalfa pellets.

I do know some people use Big Red and like it, but I'm not familiar with the brand myself. Out of curiosity, what other brands are available to you locally? PenPals, Purina, Blue Seal, and Manna Pro are all popular brands.

<Drags 25lb bag of pellets into office where it can be looked at while typing. funny look from dog....>

Crude Protein-15%

Crude Fat- 2%

Crude Fiber- 15%

Calcium Min- .80 %

Cal Max- 1.30%

Salt min- .50%

Salt max- 1.00 %

Vit A min- 5,000 IU/lb

No it's been YEARS since I've had to do all kinds of research on food. Last thing I did was spend three hours in a Superpetz educating myself that Iams Kitten food and Marshall's ferret food WERE almost exactly the same.

I just want my big guyes to not be skimped on.

I'm not fond of the Big Red as a steady diet for growing Flemish. It's better than some feeds if youwant o give it to smaller rabbits on maintenance diets (not being bred, not growing, no health issues). The rabbits I've seen on it don't carry good coat and and seem to shed a lot more. (It's a pretty common food around here for pet bunnies.) From what I've seen, I don't think the mix is consistant from season to season.

Too high a protein is no good for coat either (they get coat burnout... excessive shedding). I do know a few breeders that use 18%, but I didn't have much luck with it.

My Flemish did better on a 17% pellet with 18% fiber. What other kinds of pellets are available around you?

Well, the fiber is far lower than I would prefer. Everything else looks ok. If you feed hay it should be alright.

Here's an example of one I really like the looks of (and have heard it's great) but might be hard to get- it's from Purina but meant for lab rabbits.

Prolab(r)Hi-Fiber5P25

G U A R A N T E E D A N A L Y S I S

Crude protein not less than 16.0%
Crude fat not less than 2.0%
Crude fiber not less than 19.0%
Crude fiber not more than 24.0%
Calcium (Ca) not less than 0.8%
Calcium (Ca) not more than 1.3%
Phosphorus (P) not less than 0.5%
Salt (NaCl) not less than 0.5%
Salt (NaCl) not more than 1.0%
Vitamin A not less than 2900 IU/lb
Ash not more than 9.0%
Added minerals not more than 3.5%

Kent PenPals Professional 16% protein- I buy this for the shelter rabbits I volunteer with. It's hard to know how good they actually do on it because I'm not there every day, but it's far and away better than the Small World and Kaytee crud that others donate. I've seen recommendations from other breeders on this one.
Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein..............................................Min. 16.0%
Crude Fat....................................... ............Min. 3.0%
Crude Fiber................. Min. 17.5%.............. Max. 21.0%
Calcium (Ca)............... Min. 0.7% ................Max. 1.2%
Phosphorus (P)........................................... Min. 0.4%
Salt (NaCl).................. Min. 0.6%................ Max. 1.1%
Vitamin A....................................................Min. 2,200 IU per Pound

I'll have to call the Agway and ask. What kind of supplements should there be? I give a bit of Alphalfa hay in the morning.

Is it ok for now while I research what's in my area? I'll have to go to a couple more feed mills around me and see what they have? I'm not breeding Lichen until Spring (and when I have a doe!), and the way these guys eat, it will be gone in no time!!

Latest posts

Back