Difference between EC and calicis virus

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebeccalyn7

Reaction score
My two year old rabbit has got EC but I thought she got vaccinated against it but turned out she hadn't, and I fact got vaccinated against calicis virus,

Is there a EC vaccination?
What's the difference between them both?
Do they relate at all? Will having the calicis vaccination make a difference to how serve the EC is?

They are two completely different things. Rabbit calicivirus is just that, a virus. It is very severe with the rabbit bleeding from internal organs and death usually occurs within 48 hours. It is not treatable, which is why vaccination is so important. The vaccine for calcivirus will not affect EC in any way.

EC is a parasite as mentioned, there is no vaccination. I believe it causes swelling in the brain, Which is why rabbits often end up with head tilt and disorientation. It can also cause kidney problems. EC is treatable and a combination of anti-inflammatory and something to kill off the parasite are used. Treatment can take a while, and I think after a rabbit has been infected, they are more susceptible to it in future when they get stressed etc.

Latest posts

Back