Diet Change Makes Improvement

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I started feeding veggies as partof a regular meal. I've slowly been adding veggies and when they wereused to that I started giving it more than just once a week andadjusting the amount of pellets to maintain the weight they are at.

Well I'd like to report some great news -- the diet change has worked wonders on their coats!

Before they were in a never ending shed which was bad for my allergiesand Spice looked scruffy. Well now he's got a very soft, even coat andis barely shedding. It might just be the weather but I think if it wasthe weather he'd be shedding a lot more because it's gone fromcold to really warm for January.

I think it was that they were getting too much protein (from thepellets)in their diets and the increase in veggies and slightcut back on pellets has done wonders to even that out to a good level.

Wow -- thank you for sharing that interestingobservation! Overfeeding can lead to continual molt and poorcoat condition, and I'm glad to see that the diet change you'veimplemented has made such a difference.

Pam

That's so cool to hear. I fell off the bandwagonwith the rabbit's veggies last semester. Money was just so tight withthe surprise litter of kittens... But, now that I actually havemoney again for more than the bare necessities, I'm going toincorporate a lot more veggies back into their diets. With all theresearch I'm doing on geriatric rabbits, I've learned that a highveggie to pellet feed ratio is often better for long-term health.

Glad to hear that it's working out so well for your boys!

Got me convinced, too! Proper weight and diet should make for a good lookin bunnie!

I'm going to switch from alfalfa based pellets to timothy based.

We've already started limiting pellets and treats. On a limited basis they get oats, raisins, craisins, and banana.

I'm also going to get back to a schedule of daily greens as well. Ican't wait until the weather gets nicer so I can plant the garden withgreens and herbs! :cool:

What about vitamin supplements?

~Jim

I was actually quite surprised to see how wellit's working myself. Up until yesterday I didn't know that Petsmartcarrieda Timothy based rabbit pellet which has a much lowerpercentage of protein.

I didn't want to cut back pelletsfrom the boys because theyweren't really over weight (slightly chubby for winter of course)without substituting something else into their diets. Well then Idecided that I could try a more natural diet and this is the first timeI've ever seen Spice not shedding in the year and a half I've had him.

I think it might be something to take into consideration if you can't get timothy pellets for an older rabbit.

I wasn't really expecting the shedding to be affected but I'm ever so glad it was!

I don't give vitamin supplements and never really saw the need to.

Oh yeah :DKayTee. I wonder if the PetSmart by us carries them?

Don't mind me...I'm hoppin all over the forum while I'm at work ;)

~Jim (the "duh" mon)

I forgot to mention one thing --Spice'scoat isso soft! I've felt Mini Rexfur before but Spice's fur is even softer. He's so fluffy and his furis as soft as silk. If only you could feel it! I just can't keep myhands off him, lmao.

That's great! I definitely use veggiesfor Bo, however, I have always just given him a cup or so eachday. What would you say you give the buns per day?

Bo LOVES his greens and I think it might benefit him to add somemoreof those and back off a little on the pellets... althoughhe doesn't get much of them as it is. Bo gets kinda hard poosso I wonder if more greens would help soften them.

You know, you can find really good and cheap veggies also! Ifound bunches of cilantro 2 for 50 cents. I also foundromaine on sale. It was 88 cents per bunch, however, theylooked a bit rough on the outsides. Closer inspection gave mesome really nice "hearts" and both red leaf and regularromaine. That's cheaper than purchasing the heartsalone. I don't use more than 1 or 2 romaine hearts TOPS in aweek.....

Just get the list and start adding new items as you can. Onceyou have a varied diet, you can purchase what is on sale.

Remember easy on the calcium!! :)

I would say it's about 3/4 cup of veggies a day.

I know what you mean about Romaine lettuce, it's cheap! Normally I feeda combination of broccoli stems (I don't give them very much) andleaves, Romaine lettuce, parsley, and celery (leaves too) . On the oddoccasion I give them the leaves from radishes which they go NUTS for. Ialso sometimes add a couple of slices of carrots for a change but Idon't do that often.

I've heard like 1 cup per 3 pounds I think of bunny......

Now, I had also heard that celery leaves were good for them but not the stalks......

I feed bo the leaves. We eat the stalks LOL! I alsohaven't tried radish leaves yet. I heard they were ok, and Iwill get him some, but my hubby is the only one here who likesradishes.

I have given Bo green pepper. He looked at me like I was acrazy woman.... later it was gone.... LOL! He liked it eventually.

I'm doing a combination of the 2 diets. I feedless veggies than recommended by the natural diet and less pellets thanrecommended by the pellet diet. So it evens out but I'm not reallychoosing which diet I'm feeding more of, lol.

It was suggested to me that I feed celery to keep my bunnies hydrated in the winter when their water freezes so ya.

As for green peppers, I'm not to keen on the idea of feeding them. Don't ask me why but I'm not, lol.

You know, I think of the gassy stuff and don'tuse much. I don't know if I'll feed bo green pepperoften...... maybe when I use them I will give him a nibble. Ijust gave him a sliver of it when I did feed him some.

He'd rather have cilantro! He hates mint :p

Safeway, Whole Foods always give me FREE carrot tops or veg that's slightly off for my bunnies. They only throw them out anyway and are happy to contribute. Their idea of slightly off is having to tear off a few leaves. You just need to ask!

Back