Diet, and questions!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
Got a package deal of six bunnies today from a private breeder-ALL black, they want more 'colorful' buns instead. Three bucks and three does!

QUESTION...

How do you put a rabbit on a diet? :D
The three bucks I bought are so fat I honestly thought they where does at first. One is SO bad I thought he was a doe due to kindle TONIGHT. Seriously, this bunnies are in dire need of some SlimFast and a treadmill. The two I want to sell are, of course, the fattest. I honestly didn't know they where bucks until I turned them over. I had to check for testicles before I was REALLY sure!
Beautiful bucks though-silver tipped black.

Second question:
All three does are unfortunately bred to a Broken Black buck. Unless I get some nice black Selfs I'll be selling them all.
One is heavily bred and looks like she's about to explode. I gently turned her over and she has NO HAIR. She seriously pulled ALL of it off her underside. It's really weird to look at! I have her inside (you can't put a hairless rabbit outside!) with plenty of newspaper and hay to nest in and shred to her hearts content. Will she be okay with no hair?

Third question:
One of the does is a black lop. She's a pretty big girl, I'd guess 5-6lbs. Has some stray white hairs too. The buck she's bred to has normal ears, which means her kits will also have normal ears?
Not really sure what to do with her. She's awfully cute and all...but I don't need a lop. Might just keep her with the other two 'look cute' bunnies. I'm not even sure what kind of Lop she is.

well what i can guess, the lop is either a small mini lop or a large holland lop or quite possibly a mix. as for her kits ears, some might flop, some might stay straight and some might helicopter ears.

When it comes to a diet, i just cut back on pellets and amount of extra's in the diet and also go to timothy hay, and not alfalfa. it's been helping one of my velveteen lop does lose weight. good luck to you!

the only thing i have to add is, if those rabbits were outside, you can NOT keep her inside.... assuming your weather is like here and cold outside warm inside. Does that are ready to have little ones even in winter pull hair and are fine. If she was outside, you can make her sick by keeping her inside.

AndersonsRabbits wrote:
the only thing i have to add is, if those rabbits were outside, you can NOT keep her inside.... assuming your weather is like here and cold outside warm inside. Does that are ready to have little ones even in winter pull hair and are fine. If she was outside, you can make her sick by keeping her inside.

Actually, the temp in my back room is similar to that outside. It's not UTTERLY frigid, but it stays pretty close to the daytime temp and drops a few degrees in the night. Thats where I have her now, I'm paranoid that a draft'll come up and freeze her naked underside. I'll have to get a picture of it today, it's weird.

Everyone is in dire need of a bath too. Their fur is just icky feeling and they smell horribly. I gotta bring them in to clean their glands and clip their nails anyways, so I'll probably do some grooming while I'm at it.

Blaze_Amita wrote:
well what i can guess, the lop is either a small mini lop or a large holland lop or quite possibly a mix. as for her kits ears, some might flop, some might stay straight and some might helicopter ears.

When it comes to a diet, i just cut back on pellets and amount of extra's in the diet and also go to timothy hay, and not alfalfa. it's been helping one of my velveteen lop does lose weight. good luck to you!

I think she looks kind of Hollandish...? I honestly haven't a clue! :biggrin: I think I'll find her a pet home after she weans off this next litter, she's cute, but I'd like to keep my 'pet herd' to a minimum. Especially now that I have a larger breeding herd.

Latest posts

Back