diet and exercise for a flemish giant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabitgrl

Reaction score
Hello.
I know there are a few flemish giant lovers on here, and I am wondering what is normal as far as their eating and activity levels.
My family and I got our flemish giant Bob this past August. According to his previous owners he is about 12 moths old. He was 13 pounds about a month ago when he went in for his neuter. I have no way to weigh him, but he seems like he might be just a little bigger since then. I did not think much of his eating and activity level until we got a companion rabbit for him. Iris is a dutch rabbit, and of course she eats a lot less than Bob, but she also sleeps a lot less. It has just really made me aware how different Bob is from a smaller rabbit.

I want him to be healthy, so I am just wondering if it seems okay that he sleeps A LOT?
Also I have been feeding all the pellets he wants, as I thought flemish were not full size until about 18 months. He eats about one to two cups of pellets daily. He always has hay available, and has about two cups of veg per day. Does this sound okay?
Should I be limiting his pellets?

As for exercise, he is in a 18' x 6' room all day. I also let him into the main part of the house a couple times a day. In the past he would run around and binky a lot during this time, but usually needed a lie down after about 15 minutes. Since we have gotten Iris he is not coming in as much. For whatever reason Iris is not as keen on coming in the living room, so he will just stay with her instead of coming in. Or he will just come in for five minutes, then return to their room to check on her.
What do you think a normal exercise level should be for him? Is there anything I can do to keep him more active?

He seems very healthy to me, Not overweight at all - I am just wondering about these things since getting Iris. Compared to her he seems to just eat and sleep so much, but maybe that is normal?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back