Didn't see this coming at all...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergi

Reaction score
Right here..."pointing finger to pa, Minnesota, US
Well, I went out with a couple of friends thisevening and when I got home I did a couple things then went to check onmy bunnies and give them their nighttime food and treats. As I amapproaching the cage I notice something odd looking inFergi's litter box, upon closer inspection I find a stillborn baby bunny. After getting over shock of the poor baby I calledTony in to be with me while I checked her nesting box. Sure enough Ifind six little babies in there, all wigglingaround:shock:Ben and Fergi have been together a couple oftimes but I thought that he was to immature to impregnate Fergi, he isonly five months. So my big mistake has brought six healthy littlebabies into my home:shock:I certainly did not see thiscoming, or expect it at all! Hopefully Fergi will be a good mama, shealready seemed to know that the other baby was not OK since she placedit in her litter box. All I can say right now is wow! Just had to shareon my big surprise! They should certainly be cute, being Holland lopand Flemish giant mixes.

Fergi's mom

Congrats on your new little bundles of joy! Glad to hear everything went well even though they were unexpected.

Rabbits can be sexually mature as early as 12 weeks of age.Also, the doe can conceive again immediately after giving birth -- sobe sure to keep the proud parents separated.

Pam

Congratulations. I remembered your other post about Fergi being a chronic nest maker. Maybe this explains it? LOL

Lanna

ha HAAAAAAAA! Surprises are in the air!! They will be so cute.

But I thought Fergi was a French lop--wasn't she a big one?

Congrats!

Rose

FERGI! I can just see the look on your facewhen you realized you were a Grandmama! Your sweet little "baby" Benhas been up to no good! And you were showing us that grumpy Fergi face!No wonder she had a grumpy face lately! You absolutely have to takelots of photos all along the way. You know everyone loves those twobuns! Those babies are bound to be delightful! Congratulations!LOL!

Raspberry

OMG, fergis mom, what a shock!!:shock:There we were all thinking of nice, gentleman Ben, when really he hasbeen up to his wicked ways behind your back. Hope the new family aredoing OK. What are you going to do with all the new babies? Lookforward to seeing anypics- Jan

Well, I am happy to report that all of the babiesare happy, warm, and healthy this morning! Fergi also seems to be fine.So here are the pictures of Fergi and Ben's Babies!! Welcome to theworld little guys and gals :D

47b4cf35b3127cce9b0eb720a6cb00000016108QZMXDho5bG

47b4cf35b3127cce9b0eb710a6fb00000016108QZMXDho5bG

More to come later, I did some video clips and will post them as soon as I figure out how.

Fergi's mom

:shock: Oh My! :shock:

Congratulations Grandma!!

Load us up with Pictures!

-Carolyn

I love them. I want one! They look like littlepiggies. I hope Pamnock has some input on what the mix will look like.To me Hollands look like perpetual babies, with those sweet chubbyfaces. Giants are so regal, and well...giant! I can't wait to see whatthey'll look like. Giant Hollands maybe?

They are way to cute!! They pop around in the boxand squeak! I have never seen anything so cute (besides when Neva hadpuppies). I am so looking forward to the next eight weeks with theselittle guys! Not sure how I will be finding them homes but at least Ihave eight weeks to worry about that. I know a couple of my friendsthat are interested and I want to keep one too. I am just so excitedabout this. I can't wait to see what they look like in ten days! Ican't believe they develop so fast! Fergi is still being an awesomemom, the babies look healthy and strong, wiggling around all over.

Fergi's mom

Well -- I'm sure this has been quite anexperience! Ben is quite the stud for such a young man(usually the larger breeds mature later). And now we know theresults of breeding a giant to a dwarf LOL

Most likely the babies will have the same color as mommy and daddy(unless there are some recessives that the proud parents have incommon). The chestnuts look black for a short time untiltheir ticking starts coming in. What is the color of the furnext to Ben's skin (undercolor). I wasn't certain if he is afawn, or just a lightly ticked Sandy like I think he is.

It is likely that the babies will have erect ears.

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Well-- I'm sure this has been quite an experience! Ben is quitethe stud for such a young man (usually the larger breeds maturelater). And now we know the results of breeding a giant to adwarf LOL

Most likely the babies will have the same color as mommy and daddy(unless there are some recessives that the proud parents have incommon). The chestnuts look black for a short time untiltheir ticking starts coming in. What is the color of the furnext to Ben's skin (undercolor). I wasn't certain if he is afawn, or just a lightly ticked Sandy like I think he is.

It is likely that the babies will have erect ears.

Pam

About the stud part, I guess so!! He would have only been 3 1/2 monthsold when he "did the deed". Everything that I have read says that thegiants don't reach sexual maturity until eight months, sometimes asearly as six months. I didn't see anything less then that:shock:.

Ben's undercolor is a grayish blue color. I was told by the breeder Ibought him from that he is a Sandy, she only breeds Sandies. Histicking is actually pretty dark, he seems to have a thin line ofticking that makes a U shape on his back, I call them his racingstripes:pI will try to find a picture that really shows hiscoloring well.

Do you think there is a chance that the babies will have "bell" tipped ears?

Fergi's mom

I thought he looked Sandy, but wanted to be sure. The surface color of very sooty fawns can look similar.

Heat and genetics can lend themselves to the ear drooping at theend. I think they should be fine. The influence ofthe lopped ears shouldn't result in a droopy tipped ear.

Pam

Latest posts

Back