Didn't know 4 weeks was too young...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninetoes01

Reaction score
I just got a bunny 3 days ago and the owner told me he/she was 4 weeks old. She says she thought the mother was a male bunny and it was all an accident.
When she let the bunny mother and the babies go out into the hutch, the mother found an underground tunnel leading to the other male bunnies.
She thinks that she is pregnant again! She has been unable to catch the mother to put her back in anyway.....
Here's my problem: the owner thinks the babies were only 3 weeks old when this happened. She said she was concerned that they were too young, but they were already eating solid food. My bunny seems just fine, hopping around the little bunny-proof room I have given him. Eating solid food pellets just fine, the owner gave me pellets that are 18%? She says that is the highest allowed and it is good for little bunnies.
She thinks the babies are very big for their age, as she has gone through this process before, and it is possible that she has miscalculated (I hope)
But it is quite a ways for me to get the bunny all the way back there just so he can spend more time with his siblings, I don't want to stress him out by doing that. He is better off over here. And besides, he's fully weaned anyway.
What advice do you folks have for such a young bunny?
Is it too late for me to start litter training? I've been putting his poops all back in his litterbox, but it seems there are more poops all over the floor each time I go back in.

Here are 2 pictures of him/her

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q158/ninetoes01/?action=view&current=010.jpg

http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q158/ninetoes01/?action=view&current=006.jpg

ninetoes01
ninetoes01
ninetoes01

I got my flemies at 4 weeks not knowing that they where too young and they seem to be just fine...you might want to take him/her to a vet just to make sure he/she is ok...i took mine in and found out they had a bacteria that was contracted thru their moms milk.

if s/he is eating and drinking peeing ( is obviously pooing :p) then you are just going to have to go with it and keep an eye. they would usually still be getting milk from mama on top of eating just keep a close eye :)

as for litter training it alwasy seems easier once they are spayed/neutered but at that age usually the mum will train them tho sometimes i forget lol. just keep goign they learn eventually :)

and congrats on your new bun :D

yes, peeing too. I didn't realize how easily you could get most of the stain out of the carpet with just a couple squares of toilet paper! There's little spots here and there on the already-multi-coloured-very-spotted rug. So just a little toilet paper takes out most of the pee. And just today I started tossing that in the litterbox too.

I want to clean it cuz the bunny room is starting to smell, but I don't want it to be so clean that he doesn't start to get the hang of peeing and pooping in there...

what age can you tell the difference in sex? And how can you tell? Is there a diagram somewhere that I could look at?

Well thanks guys, that was extremely helpful, but goodness, some of those pictures are quite graphic! lol Their anatomy is quite different from ours!
Well I'll let you guys know if I think Cinder is a girl or boy!

Latest posts

Back