Did not touch his pellets this morning

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs. PBJ

Reaction score

Stoirm did not touch his pellets this morning. I mean nothing. His stomach seems a little hard. But nothing like what is did the last time he went into full blown stasis.

He was gone for 48 hours at a photo studiio. But he seemed fine he has been through a lot. In the past few days. I desided to cut treats yesterday when I saw his poohs loking funny.

But for him to not touch his pellets there is a problem. He has a vet visit next week for a yearly check. At a rabbit savy vet in houston. Should I do the stasis protacal. Or could this be something else. And he need a vet.

he did not have assecc to anything at the studio he only had the food I sent for him. and he had his kennel and all. So he was watched when he was out. I dont think this is from getting into something I think it may be the change in diet for that day. And being held a lot more then he is used to.

I know he got carrot tops and red leaf lettuce for the first time ever this week also.

He is drinking water, He is eating some hey but thats not even normal. I have only had to fill up his bin 2 times sense saterday night. Normally its 2 to 3 times a day. I am going to take him back to his normall diet do I need to give him some critical care.

He did eat his salad last night and it was big for his normall salad. I had made two container by accident for his trip so I gave him the other container last night. He ate it all it was about double the size of his normal salad.

Thanks in Advance

Kat, EJ, and Storm

He is probably really stressed out by yesterday.
I would start out by giving him simethicone if his tummy feels hard and possibly give him some tummy massages if he will let you. For right now I would not intervene too much as this is most likely stress induced and you don't want to introduce more stress today.

He was doing easter shoots for the company my friend works for them and asked if she could use him.

They did not force hold him. They let him hop around and when he was in the picture they took it. Easter shoots for kids. He had his emergency travel kennel it is a med dog kennel. And all his normal stuff. Just a different enviroment.

And he was at the studio

Friday and Saturday. He was home yesterday. I noticed his pooh lookinga little funny. So I figured he got a few more treats then he was used to. So just take them out for a few days. I talked to my friend and he was fine when I got him home saturday night.

I notice the less hay intake. But he atehis breakfast anddinner and all fine even yesterday. Today he would not even look at hispellets. And normally he is like attacking my hand befor I can even get the pellets on his plate.

He normally gets pellets in the morning salad at night. So up until last night everythng seemed fined. This morning was the first sign ofsomething wrong when he did not touch his pellets.

And the less amount of hay intake ever sense he got home.

I would give him some simethicone and try some tummy rubs, plus a rice sock on his belly. Take out all sugary treats, and don't give as many veggies, or stick with ones you know are good like romaine and parsley. Maybe add some canned pumpkin to his diet, and a bit of juice to his water to entice him to drink more. I begin to worry if it's been 12 hours without eating or pooing, and go to the vet if it's been 24. He's still eating, but obviously something is bugging his tummy. With some of these steps you can hopefully nip this in the bud.

I would expect stasis from a photo shoot

Activities like these are too stressful for rabbits ..particularly for that length of time

Obviously you did not know it or you wouldn't have permitted it.

angieluv wrote:
I would expect stasis from a photo shoot

Activities like these are too stressful for rabbits ..particularly for that length of time

Obviously you did not know it or you wouldn't have permitted it.

No wow.

I stay most of friday. And he seemed happy about it all. Checking out a new plae not acting scared at all. Well here we go for the fourth time now.

Do I need to give anything if he does not eat his salad. he gets it in about 15 minutes. If he does not eat his salad we are going to the vet. Cause pellet mabye but salad big problem

No not good. We tend to have a yearly thing with a few studios. For so many reasons we don't like them around here. One being the stress on bunnies. Another beingkids than bugging mom and dad about a cute bunny. Yes sometimes a good home but not always.

Hope he feels better soon. Nice and quite for him.

Well he seems to be not any better. He took a few bites of his colantro.

But at this point I called my vet and he told me to give sub q fluids and wait hydration befor nutrition. like randy always says.

So we have given him fluids and are waiting. My vet said to give him critical care if he does not eat by tomorrow afternoon. At this point everything he would do I can do. Except for the ex ray. But he is still having bowl movments few and far between but ther there.

And the possiblilty of a blockage is slim to none. If I have to have it done I will go to the shelter and get it there less money. Then take it to the vet. But he knows what I can do is is going to call me before he goes to bed.

I have IV's and needles and such at the house in both animals emergency kits. So we are just using those and going to go from there. But after I got him moving and gave him some sub q fluids he did nibble on some hay so I know where in for the long hall.

Wow they do go down hill fast. This is the worst its ever been. He has never not ate. he may not eat as much but he has always ate.

Well he got his fourth dose of gas meds.

His sub q already. And I walked upstair to go to the restroom came back down and he is mutching on a peice of lettuce. So he has the will to eat. Thats great right now where taking it hour be hour.

When he gets better i will say more about his weekend ; but now I will say that our shelter was asked to provide a rabbit for the kids to find at the end of an easter egg hunt . I said "No, No and NO", however I am not a person in charge so we are bringing a rabbit for the kids to see and not touch and it will still be for only 1 hour.

I am not in favor of that but i will go along with it.

it is not good to even link live rabbits with easter in the minds of children. it is just something that needs to stop. Hundreds of rabbits are brought to shelters every year after easter because they were an impulse buy. The rabbits that are not given up often are not cared for .

easter activities and rabbits do not mix. people need to be re-educated.

Your bun needs fluids for now; he probably is not eating because he was stressed and hid it . Now that he is home he can relax and feel the effects.

It is OK for him to not eat as long as he is getting fluids
I think that you can get him through this without lot of difficulty

try to stick to his normal routine.

angieluv wrote:
When he gets better i will say more about his weekend ; but now I will say that our shelter was asked to provide a rabbit for the kids to find at the end of an easter egg hunt . I said "No, No and NO", however I am not a person in charge so we are bringing a rabbit for the kids to see and not touch and it will still be for only 1 hour.

I am not in favor of that but i will go along with it.

it is not good to even link live rabbits with easter in the minds of children. it is just something that needs to stop. Hundreds of rabbits are brought to shelters every year after easter because they were an impulse buy. The rabbits that are not given up often are not cared for .

easter activities and rabbits do not mix. people need to be re-educated.

Your bun needs fluids for now; he probably is not eating because he was stressed and hid it . Now that he is home he can relax and feel the effects.

It is OK for him to not eat as long as he is getting fluids
I think that you can get him through this without lot of difficulty

try to stick to his normal routine.

I wont ever do it again thats for sure. I am trying to stop the easter buys just like the rest of us then I just promted it. It was a very dumb thing to do and I put storms health at risk for it. I did not think about it like that until now. And I feel really bad.

At this point I think I made a huge mistake. But I can't take it back now. I understand how people must feel right now about this am I am sorry if I upsat anyone I did not mean to. I made a mistake.

Storm had some more of his salad at the rate he is going it should be done by morning I am sleeping down stairs with him tonight. And not giving him any pellets.He seem more livly but nothing like the same.

I am sorry now that I said all that as I can tell I made you feel bad. I'm sorry!! I really am !
We should just be concentrating on helping himget well and I shouldn't be doing things to make you feel worse.

angieluv wrote:
I am sorry now that I said all that as I can tell I made you feel bad. I'm sorry!! I really am !
We should just be concentrating on helping himget well and I shouldn't be doing things to make you feel worse.

No you did not amke me feel worse I have been feeling bad about it all day. As soon as it was said earlier I relized and started thinking about it.

I did do things wrong but we learn from our mistakes. Now if I went and did it again there would be a problem. Knowing what I know now.

And please say what you feel it makes me think about it harder and other people can learn from my mistake. Instead of making the same mistake. Putting any rabbit through stress unnessiserly is not safe for there health luckly I know how to pull him out of this.

But the honest truth is I could loose him from this. All that for some other people. Its not worth it to me. Its not worth loosing storm put it that way.

So no you just brought it home. Please be honest where family around here. Lets learn from one mistake and notmake anymore. How many new member could learn from this thread about not doing this ever. From his health, stress,to relizing its not good anyway.

Well you are looking at it from the right viewpoint.

but to be honest the shelter isgetting meto do the thing withthe rabbit next sat. They will do it with or without me and I am the best one to manage the rabbit.I feel it is not right and there is little I can do about it

other than to not let the kids pet the rabbit and stay only 1 hr.
it is something we can all learn from.

At our shelter there have been cases (not rabbits) where people adopted guinea pigs that had been at the shelter many months and several died within a week of being adopted.

I am very sure they were over handled after having quet lives at the shelter with little interaction.

I am trying to get the front desk staff to tell the adopters not to handle the rabbits and guinea pigs and other small animals very much in the beginning and to work up to it. i think that it is stress that killed them.

Wow yes we dont push storm to do anything well beside his nail clippings. But thats only once a month.

I never hold him. I lay on the floor he will jump on the couch for a crasin or yogurt treat. But as soon as I run out he is gone. I am holding off on his vet appointment just cause he need more then a few days to destress. befor going to a strange place again.

Thanks everyone and hopefully he comes out of this soon.

Should i give him his pellets in the morning?

I think using a real bunny that's someone's pet is much better than what some places do for Easter--buy a bunny, use it a month, then dump it at the Humane Society. Even worse, let some 2 year old take it home and pull on its ears for 2 weeks before dumping it at the humane society. We sent a bunny to the photo shoot ourselves at the Humane Society this year--I think it helped her get a good home too. It could be stressful, so maybe no more than one day a week for each bunny would be best.

We have pooh and all his hay is gone. Well the ones he eats. He eats the second and third cut. He drank water on his own last night. He slept next to me most of the night.

And he looked at me like why are you not giving me breakfast. So I gave him half the amount of pellets he normally gets. He attacked my hand:biggrin2:. As annoying as it is I will never take that for granted again.

I know he not going to be 100% over night but man he is almost there. I would say 85%. But with my litle eat em up. He would get his apitite back first befor anything else. I will see if he comes out of the cage today. I also have a hole in my air matress now.:twitch:

Storm desisded to sleep with me and I did not stop him. But I woke up on the floor

Latest posts

Back