Did I fail my rabbit? :’(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJT

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Sadly one of my buns died today. She was approx 5/6 years old(rescue). She lived in a large room with her bonded pal and was totally fine when I saw her about 25 hours ago (9pm). 2 hours later my partner fed them. In the morning she was stationary, breathing quite shallow and hunched up like a wee loaf of bread. I called my partner when I got to work who told me when he fed them the night before she didn’t come running as she usually does. By 3pm she was still barely moving so he took her to the vet. The vet diagnosed gas and gut stasis and gave her some injections. She sent my partner away with medicine and liquid food to feed her but she died in the car on the way home at about 5pm. He took her back to the vets and the vet was surprised she had passed so early, she said she expected her to make it to the morning at least then we might know if she was going to pull through depending on how she was doing.

I feel terrible like I should have taken her first thing this morning as I know how prompt treatment needs to be. The reason I didn’t is that she has done this a few times before. The first time we rushed her to the vet and her gut was totally normal, turned out she’d bruised her eye and was probably just feeling sorry for herself. It has happened at least two more times since then when she just sits completely disinterested in anything but she has always come out it herself within 24 hours. Because we keep them together it’s impossible to monitor her poo/pee so maybe she was unwell before now but we didn’t see it? I’m shocked she didn’t come out of this herself like she always has done and feel like I have failed her by not taking her to the vet first thing today.

That seems awfully quick to succumb to GI stasis. Perhaps there was something else going on that neither you or the vet were unaware. Without a necropsy, it would be difficult to say, but sometimes unforeseen things can happen that are not anyone's fault.

Latest posts

Back