Did I come off to mean?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katt

Reaction score
so I check craigslist out daily, just to keep my eye on what animals are looking for new homes, and try to offer help to anyone I can.

But I sometimes get upset, angry enough to see red and write an email to someone looking for a rabbit.

this post just got to me:

We are looking for a couple of bunnies for Easter presents. The smaller the better. Thank you.

so naturally, i rushed to my email, pulled up a compose message box and scribble this down:

Hello,

I noticed your post on craigslist looking for 'Easter Bunnies'

Just wanted to give you some random information.

First I would suggest looking at this website

http://www.makeminechocolate.org/

this is kind of the rabbit rescue world's national (and world) campaign to help fight the sale of easter bunnies.

Rabbits are just as much, if not more, of a commitment then dogs and cats. They need proper food, and housing. They can live just as long as a cat or dog (up to 12 years easy), and are way more involved then most people think. Their vet bills are normally more pricey then a cat or dog (because rabbits are considered an 'exotic' animal).

I have owned rabbits for over 12 years now. I have done the full spectrum of rabbit owning. Started off with pets, moved to showing and breeding, back to pets, and now I own 3 happy house rabbits and work with rescues for bunny placement.

I am not trying to upset you, or come off as harsh, I just witness every year first hand all the unwanted Easter pets that are discarded the months fallowing easter because they outgrew their cute and cuddly stage.

If you are still considering getting a rabbit, I would suggest becoming a member of the Rabbits Online Forum. It is one of the largest (and in my opinion friendliest) rabbit forums on the net.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/

If you decide to get a rabbit, please read up on the basic, and often times looked over care for the animal. Rabbits make GREAT pets, when cared for properly. They provide lots of companionship and rewarding moments and memories.

But if you are looking for the novelty of giving a child or loved one a cute fluffy bunny on easter morning, and your not really up to learning their proper care. You are better off buying a stuffed animal, or one made of chocolate.

Katie

ps- if you are still interested in getting bunnies for easter, and are committed to learning how to care for them properly, I would be more then willing to help you in any way possible.

does this sound to mean?

Sounds completely fine to me, and I'm sure I'd word myself the exact same way. But sometimes people will feel like it's mean or rude, thinking, "How dare they tell me this?!" Or something along those lines. =P
Hopefully she'll actually get the point and understand you care about the well-being of bunnies and were in no way being rude/pushy, etc.

Have you already sent it? I don't think it sounds "mean," but maybe a little too aggressive. It also seems a little disjointed and you've got some typos, which may hinder the great info you're trying to offer.

If you've already sent it, I wouldn't worry about offending anyone. Hopefully the message is well-received. If you want a suggestion for next time, maybe try phrasing it more like, "Is a rabbit right for you?" and list the realities of owning a rabbit year-round, not just at Easter.

I know how frustrating Craigslist posts can be!

It sounds fine to me also..it shows you care Katie...but it also depends how that other person is going to take that advice...but to me i think you did a good thing by emailing them.

No Offense Katie..the letter is great, but my 2 cents wud b on the opposing side of "How dare you" I wud b deleting the email or replying and saying something cruel. I know u have a great big heart and mean the best and on this side of the fence I think it is fabulous!!! But what if they have owned rabbits in the past or think that the best time to add a rabbit to their home is Easter time...What I am trying to say is maybe those questions could have been asked...that way you would build rapport (sp?) with then and maybe ensure an open line of communication with them

Like I said just my 2 cents...plz dont b offended.

Great email.
Dont worry- it is not mean. You sound assertive, knowledgable, and are just quickly identifying the case before something more drastic is said/done etc. You've offered good help/info etc., whilst apologising if you've got the situation wrong.

People like that need a firm word, and sometimes that may come across as aggressive or rude, but we need to be! Rabbits cannot be aggressive and rude for themselves once they are locked in a tiny box, doomed to solitary confinement and probably unnoticed pain/ailments until they get the sweet release of death. Or thrown into the wild with absolutely no idea where they are, how to look after themselves, or the concept of predators, after their "owners" have got fed up of them. Sorry to be so morbid, but its a reality that people need to be told- and doing so in an assertive and frank email is the way to start!

Good for you- I hope they see sense. And I hope one day more and more people will join together to try and rid the world of rabbit ignorance/cruelty, and, on a wider spectrum, animal cruelty. Rabbits should be part of the family, just like most dogs and cats are, and people should be made to understand that or, not be allowed to own a pet beyond a seamonkey.

edit to say- It is BEST to be more over-the-top etc. than understated, when it comes to rabbits. Dogs can bark and howl etc.- rabbits curl up and remain silent.

x

jcottonl02 wrote:
Great email.
Dont worry- it is not mean. You sound assertive, knowledgable, and are just quickly identifying the case before something more drastic is said/done etc. You've offered good help/info etc., whilst apologising if you've got the situation wrong.

People like that need a firm word, and sometimes that may come across as aggressive or rude, but we need to be! Rabbits cannot be aggressive and rude for themselves once they are locked in a tiny box, doomed to solitary confinement and probably unnoticed pain/ailments until they get the sweet release of death. Or thrown into the wild with absolutely no idea where they are, how to look after themselves, or the concept of predators, after their "owners" have got fed up of them. Sorry to be so morbid, but its a reality that people need to be told- and doing so in an assertive and frank email is the way to start!

Good for you- I hope they see sense. And I hope one day more and more people will join together to try and rid the world of rabbit ignorance/cruelty, and, on a wider spectrum, animal cruelty. Rabbits should be part of the family, just like most dogs and cats are, and people should be made to understand that or, not be allowed to own a pet beyond a seamonkey.

edit to say- It is BEST to be more over-the-top etc. than understated, when it comes to rabbits. Dogs can bark and howl etc.- rabbits curl up and remain silent.

x
Hear hear! :thanks:

Fancy77 wrote:
No Offense Katie..the letter is great, but my 2 cents wud b on the opposing side of "How dare you" I wud b deleting the email or replying and saying something cruel. I know u have a great big heart and mean the best and on this side of the fence I think it is fabulous!!! But what if they have owned rabbits in the past or think that the best time to add a rabbit to their home is Easter time...What I am trying to say is maybe those questions could have been asked...that way you would build rapport (sp?) with then and maybe ensure an open line of communication with them

Like I said just my 2 cents...plz dont b offended.

I'm guessing they haven't had rabbits before if there looking for the smaller the better. That doesn't sound like a typical rabbit owner.

I think the letter was great!!

I really dont think that was rude. It was just true. No one who really was knowledgeable about rabbits would post that ad. Its nice to think the best of people but if someone had rabbits in the past and were prepared they would assume an ad like that would be poorly received by responsible people trying to re-home their pet.

I'm sure the person is going to get all worked up and snarky, but thats just how people are. Someone had to say it and i'm glad you did.

Luvr of wabbits and polar bears, and luluznewz make VERY good and valid points, that I second.

I don't think it sounded mean at all.

When I thought I had decided on selling 2 of my buns (because we moved, but they're with us. YAY!), I did everything I could to make sure people knew they had to work for them. This is actually the post:
"
I have 2 rabbits that I unfortunately need to find a home for.

One is male (neutered) age 3, and a female age 2. Just recently seen by the vet and in very good health. They MUST go together as they are bonded.

These are INDOOR rabbits ONLY, and for PETS ONLY, NOT food!!!!

You will need to come meet them; as well as me; before I decide and is to my discretion as to who would make a suitable owner for them. I would also need to come to your home to see where they would be housed and taken care of.

There is also a $100 re-homing fee per rabbit (That's $200 total), I would need vet references, as well as have you join a forum/speak to you about their care to make sure you understand what's involved in owning rabbits.

Come with 2 bags of hay, some food, their dishes, litter box and hide-away, you would need to provide everything else for them (including a cage, food, more hay, and various other things they would need)!!!

Serious inquiries ONLY!!!"

Needless to say, no one responded. but it's ok, cause they're still with me lol

It wasnt mean. If the person really cares he will take in what you said and do research. If he doesnt he will probably just ignore it or reply and be rude. =( I hope they do their research and I really hope its not another easter bunny tragedy.

Nope!
Not mean at all.
You did the right thing in informing her what she could be getting in to.
I didn't think it sounded rude or aggressive at all.

I don't find it to be rude/mean I just think how it will be recieved depends on the person who posted the ad in the first place, they might take it as you sticking your nose in and react badly or they may see it as helpful advice and act on it, it's really just left to what they will make of it in the end, but whatever they make of it, you know that your intentions were right when you sent it.

People who post something like that on a website like craigslist need what you emailed. It was not mean, it was informative.

Back