Did I botch giving sub-Q's?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
I'm confused about something that I noticed after giving sub-Q's to my one bun, Emma, this morning..

While I administered the 40 cc's, Emma squirmed a bit while my husband held her; but I felt no fluid on her fur during/after the procedure. And the needle felt like it pulled out of the skin (not like it was sitting atop of the skin).

Minutes later, after my husband put Emma back in her pen, I noticed wetness on her left hindquarters (on her side). It seems like too much to be saliva from cleaning. And I don't really see/feel a fluid "lump" under her skin.

Is it possible that fluid somehow got there on her body? I'm confused.

Thank you,

Jenk

I have accidentally stuck the needle into the skin and right out the other side. So the fluids ended up all over the bunny and not in her. I didn't notice till I felt wetness on my hand. Her side was wet where I had attempted to give them. Could that have been what happened?

It also could have gotten into the body cavity itself. That would be an i.p. injection of fluids. It's ok, I think. I help with a cat spay/neuter program and I know there if we get a cat that's pregnant when we spay her, we give her ip fluids to make up for the volume lost by removing the uterus with fetuses.

It's probably more likely that it did go in and then out again like Amy said.

Amy27 wrote:
I have accidentally stuck the needle into the skin and right out the other side. So the fluids ended up all over the bunny and not in her. I didn't notice till I felt wetness on my hand. Her side was wet where I had attempted to give them. Could that have been what happened?

I don't think so; I had the needle facing forward in her scruff, and the wetness was on herleftside hindquarters. I would've noticed the fluid flying over her body in order for it to hit her backside. :biggrin:

I wasn't thinking about it at the time, but I may have cleared the catheter line (of air) after my hubby set Emma down to receive sub-Q's. So it's possible that the fluid hit her fur at that time, since I allow the line to justhang/twirl while excess fluid squirts out of it.

I rechecked her scruff a second timeafter posting on RO, and it did feel squishy; so I now believe that the fluids did make it into her body. I can only assume that random flying fluids hit her fur when I cleared the catheter line of air. LOL

Latest posts

Back