Did her spay clear the runny eyes??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pigglebread

Reaction score
So a few may know that a female I adopted (abbey) for my claudio a month or 2 ago was adopted to me on accident unspayed and they fixed that all up for me and I had her spayed a week ago.

When I got her I didn't realize till she was home about how often she had runny eyes, I thought maybe this was just normal for her compared to my other bun but if it got worse or behaviour changed I'd see a vet. I actually planned on seeing a vet anyways though the coming month. I wiped her eyes daily, saline solution rinsed sometimes, and even tried a week of some antibiotic eye drops left over from claudio's treatment a few months back.

When I took her for the spay I asked to have them check her molars, just for the heck of it, maybe a tooth was bugging her to cause the eye problems? On the pickup I was told the vet said something about a possible sharp hook on an upper left molar? Now how he or she said "possible" I don't really get that because I figure he/she would either say it was or isn't since they're the vet. ( I wasn't there at the vet, the rescue took my rabbit in ). The rescue women told me it would probably be fine but to have it checked if it got worse or persisted.

So after I took her home she recovered so well! It's day 7 post recovery I believe and she was eating from the hour she was brought home since and done so well. On top of that the runny eye has basically stopped or is so mild I can't even tell. I run my finger a long the tear duct and no discharge whatsoever really. She's even binkying a storm! It's like she's a baby rabbit, I'm amazed really and I was wondering did the spay do this?

TL;DR , rabbit had runny crusty eyes before spay always, post spay no more runny crust like eyes, what the bink?

425077_10151840312287519_861347577_n.jpg

Last edited:
I have no idea. I've never heard of a spay clearing up runny eyes. That is usually caused by dental problems. Not just sharp points, but actual tooth base problems causing the teary eyes, and that would take a radiograph to see if that's the issue. So definitely keep an eye on it, and if it continues, take her in and get a radiograph done. Here's some info on the dental problem that causes it.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

That's so cute of them snuggled together :)

Weird. Phoebe was very sneezy before the spay...I have heard her sneeze a total of two times since!!! :0 glad I'm not the only one who is thinking the spay was a miracle!

I will definitely still keep my eyes on her health and next visit bring that up and maybe ask for xrays and stuff. It's amazing after the spay because her energy is x1,000 these past few days compared to her activity before, definitely a more happy bunny and I hope it stays, her mounting on him has really calmed down also.

Back