Diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drakco

Reaction score
Hello all,

Our newest bunny, Arya, is having a bit of diarrhea today and we were wondering what we could do to help her out...

Yesterday, she had some pellets to eat along with pieces of apples (which she adores) to eat.

Anything we can do and what should we watch for?

Hi there,

How old is your bunny? Stop the apples and decrease your pellets. Make sure she has access to lots of fresh hay and water.

What kind of pellets are you feeding her? What kind of hay are you feeding as well?

Does she has normal stool as well as the diarrhea? I just went through this my Papaya- see my two threads called : kiwi & papaya as well, a little bit of a poopy bum.

How old is your bunny?

Unfortunately, I do not know as we got her from the SPCA and they had someone who found her on the side of the road bring her in.

Stop the apples and decrease your pellets. Make sure she has access to lots of fresh hay and water.

Ok... As for the apples, this is not her first day. We have had her now for over two weeks and we had been giving her pieces of apples from the start.

What kind of pellets are you feeding her? What kind of hay are you feeding as well?

The pellets come from the local agricultural coop store and it is what she has been getting from the start. As for the hay, we bought a batch at Pet Store.

Does she has normal stool as well as the diarrhea?

She has a bit of both normal stool as well as the diarrhea.

I would cut out the apple just for now until her stools are back to normal for a few days, then you can slowly re-introduce it.

Knowing the brand of pellets might be useful, especially if shes an adult bunny, often what the co-op stores sell is alfalfa based which isn't good for the kidneys and bladder of bunnys older then 6months.

Keep encouraging her to eat, mainly her hay (Timothy, oat, orchard, etc. Not alfalfa) Pellets, keep her drinking. You can try offering a bit of pumpkin (either canned or fresh) as its good and easy on upset tummys, but in small ammounts as it like the apple is moist and sugary. I would look at trying to find some type of probiotic. Bene bac from your petsmart/petco or other pet stores that might have it, Acute care or florentaro from the vets.

if it's truly liquidy, I recommend a vet trip, as bunnies can get dehydrated or even die from diarrhea fairly quickly if it's bad :( (also, if there haven't been any diet changes, it's important to pinpoint an underlying cause!)

here's a site that describes the symptoms of dehydration:
http://www.helium.com/items/1641618-dehydration-in-an

make sure she's drinking lots of water... I recommend offering some pedialyte until you can get her in at the vet to help keep her hydrated. you can syringe it if she doesn't want to drink it from a bowl.

Watery diarrhea definitely sounds like something for the vet. Dehydration can happen really quickly in such small animals.

Keep her hydrated and make sure she is eating lots of hay. I would restrict her diet to just hay and water, nothing else. When she is pooping normal, wait for a few days before reintroducing fruit and veggies.

As others already said, watery diarrhea in buns can be quite serious, so it's really good to get to a vet as soon as you can.

Latest posts

Back