Diarrhea

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazymandolinist

Reaction score
My rex made a messsometime yesterdaywhich I soon figured out may have been because he didn't have enough hay, so I cleaned him and the pen up, put more hay in there than I usually do, and now he's been sitting in his litterbox all day. Ican see poops all around the cage, which is normal because I just started him on litter. He's just sitting there, he occasionally grooms himself, usually the ears and front paws, then he just rests his head on the side. It may be because he had a long day, being outside while I cleaned out his pen and then he proceeded to have a late night trying to keep me up by chewing on a shoe box til maybe 1:00. He was very active last night too, hopping around the room and exploring a bit before I went to bed, even successfully removed his feeder.

Just wondering if maybe he's still tired from last night, or maybe he's just sitting there hoping to get rid of everything?

By the way he's an otter. Isn't that a rare color?

I think I just woke him up. He's merrily eating some hay now but I checked his litterbox and found some more runs in it.:(

I thought I did post it in the infirmary, well thanks anyway...

It's definately diarrhea, because it's liquidy and smells rancid. Right now he's eating fresh rye from my yard, and he has a water bottle right beside his litter box now.

diarrhea can be a bacterial infection or it could be from parasites... or maybe something that he is eating.(carb overload)
If you are feeding pellets cut them out for now and put him on a hay and water diet.

you will need to get some electrolyte drink for children (pedialyte) and either syringe it to him or put it in a bowl and see if he will drink it on his own. If he has frank diarrhea he is losing fluids and electrolytes which you want to replace. the ideal would be subqutaneous fluids. You also need to try to repenish the good bacteria in his gut by getting a product calleed benebac which is either a gel or powder . it hasmicroorganisms that are normal for herbivoresto have in their Gi tracts. You could also get a tube of probios from a farm store . it is made for horses but will work just as well as it is bascially the same as benebac.

he may be looking fatigued because his electrolytes are off and he is dehydrated.
All of this could also be diet related.

He's drinking normally, but he really didn't want to leave his litterbox. I'll also add that he uses it as a bed. As soon as I gave him that grass he munched it down like crazy, so I think he really missed it. He's been doing normal poops as well as runs.

I don't know if rabbits can have rye grass???

Anyone?
If it is fresh grass stop it and just give him hay.

by the description of the odor as 'rancid " i think that you should take him to the vet..probably an infection and rabbits go fast with this type of problem.

Probably not good use of the word then. It just smells real bad, like people diarrhea. And I will stop feeding jim the rye. I've got some Timoty hay I can give him.

Here's a picture of ole Rocky.
Picture232.jpg

He started yanking at his bottle, so we put ithe stuff in a bowl, after drinking it up he looks much much better. He's in my lap now, nosy and mischievous as ever! Got him as clean as I could but he stills smells from gass and stuff but he looks like he'll be okay! I'm so happy. He hopped right out of his cage and headed straight for his favorite little corner of my room and started cleaning himself up. I was so, so happy! I hope this keeps up!

Thanks for all your help!:bunnydance:

Thinking about getting him a girlyfriend so I can have some rexy babies! any suggestions on what colors I should pair him up with? I'll post this in the breeder's section when I really get serious about it but anyone have any suggestions? I'd really like spots or broken colors over white.

Keep him on hay and water and (Pedialyte?) for awhile before giving him anything fresh
in terms of colors etc . post that in the rabbitry section as I am clueless

Latest posts

Back