diarrhea (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlyciaGrace

Reaction score
My rabbit has diarrhea we have done everything possible we have been force feeding her for she will not eat or drink and can barely move, shes a Californian and is about 5 or 6 months old. Her ears are cold and shes shaking. should i keep her warm or cold?

Keep her very warm, but don't force feed her. How did it start?

sas :pray:

She is probably very very dehydrated- if she isn't drinking and has diarrhea. Try and get some fluids in her- try some Pedialyte or similar children's rehydration drink to get those fluids and electrolytes back in her.

Keep her warm.

Do you have an emergency vet around? They can put her on IV fluids- this is very serious.
My puppy went into this condition, after her very severe diarrhea. We rushed her to the emergency vets, they put her on IV fluids and she was absolutely fine and safe. Then we could treat the underlying problem- campylobacter and giardia.

It's the loss of fluids etc. that is really going to the absolute danger in the case of diarrhea, not necessarily the underlying cause, so I really would stress hydration hydration. Try syringing Pedialyte or something similar.

Jen

Before you do anything, you should warm her up.

Here's an excerpt from the Library:

From FORCE FEEDING:

Sick rabbits have low body temperatures which makes muscles stiff and it difficult for the rabbit to swallow properly increasing the possibility of choking. This also causes organs related to digestion do not respond properly, affecting digestion of the food.
----
Sugar should be avoided with rabbits suffering from a bacterial imbalance in the GI tract. ('Poopy butt' or what appears to be diarrhea is symptom). If this is the case, a rabbit (once warm) should be receiving rehydration in the form of Pedialyte or another non-sugar source, and a product like Critical Care (a high fiber powder made into ‘mush). Canned pumpkin is another good source low sugar carbohydrates and high fiber.

sas :pray:

I'm so sorry :(

Jen

I'm so sorry. Unfortunately, when a young bunny gets diarrhea like this, it has to be treated by a professional very quickly or it can be fatal, as we saw here. So sad. I'm sorry we couldn't help you and her out.

Latest posts

Back