diarrhea in the buns (BioSponge Dosing )

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, SCORE! a local equine vet has tubes of the bio sponge for me! he is actually about 45 minutes away and he is leaving it on his doorstep with the amount and asked me to simply leave a check. its good to know that people still trust others in this manner, it gives me hope. lol

so now i need to understand the amount to administer. i checked the performance platinum and found this for dogs and cats:

IngredientsBio-Sponge™ Paste

Recommended UseAdminister 5.0 cc of Bio-Sponge Paste (per 30 lbs of body weight) 2-4 times daily or as directed by your veterinarian.

Best if used with Platinum Performance™ Canine.

Recommended for use within 18 months of manufacture date.

so if 5cc is for 30lbs then there is 1cc/6 lbs. so if my rabbit weighs just under 5lbs then around 0.7cc would be correct, right?

thanks!

I'd email the company just to be safe. There may be rabbit info in another post, mind you, worth a search.

How is he doing?

BTW, do you have him on hay or grass? One thing that can upset the GI tract this time a year is spring grass, could that be the trigger?

I know you PM'd me but I don't have it handy, don't recall his diet details.

sas :clover:

he is on hay. seems to be doing ok, no more messy stools! i just returned with the bio sponge. my local equine vet was very kind to sell me a tube. he says he uses it frequently with horses with excellent results. he was surprised that i contacted him about it for a bunny however, said with the right dose it should work.

i planned on calling the company anyways because i really have no way of measuring a cubic centimeter besides weight.

ok well i administered my first dose of 0.75cc. the recommended dose is 1.5cc/10lb. i was told to use about a pea size 2-4 times a day. they were very helpful and mentioned to me that about a pea size is about 0.75cc.

for the first time i was bitten by the rabbit today, that didn't feel good. he was pretty scared of the treatment. i am sure he will adjust quickly.

That's great that you were able to find Bio-Sponge!

I'll try to get Randy's input on this thread, as he has used it in the past in bunnies and wildlife.

The jelly-like poo sounds a lot like clostridium, so the Bio-Sponge should help. That, hay, and hydration should hopefully pull the little guy through...

Welcome to the world of trying to decipher dosages based on weights of a paste....same thing happens with Ponazuril. The only problem I have with a paste is that the active medicine isn't always distributed evenly. Doesn't matter if it's a "one shot" tube but when you have to split it....it is by no means exact. BioSponge is a lot like Fenbendazole....it seems to be rather benign so exact dosing doesn't seem to be critical.....I wouldn't load them up on either but I suspect the dosing you are using would do the trick. I am concerned about the length of time of this event and the possibility of gastric ulcers forming. I would consider using an antibiotic.....Metronidazole. Not so much for the antibiotic qualities but for the anti-inflammatory qualities. And a probiotic will help stabilize the pH. But.....you also don't want to overdo things either. Since it appears things may be improving some, I would probably just stick to the BioSponge and monitor the GI closely.

Randy

ra7751 wrote:
Welcome to the world of trying to decipher dosages based on weights of a paste....same thing happens with Ponazuril. The only problem I have with a paste is that the active medicine isn't always distributed evenly. Doesn't matter if it's a "one shot" tube but when you have to split it....it is by no means exact. BioSponge is a lot like Fenbendazole....it seems to be rather benign so exact dosing doesn't seem to be critical.....I wouldn't load them up on either but I suspect the dosing you are using would do the trick. I am concerned about the length of time of this event and the possibility of gastric ulcers forming. I would consider using an antibiotic.....Metronidazole. Not so much for the antibiotic qualities but for the anti-inflammatory qualities. And a probiotic will help stabilize the pH. But.....you also don't want to overdo things either. Since it appears things may be improving some, I would probably just stick to the BioSponge and monitor the GI closely.

Randy
SOLID STOOLS!

thanks for the response, Randy! the bio sponge is working wonderfully! his stools are solid again and he is eating very well. thank you for the information regarding the metronidazole! i may purchase some to have on hand.

i have not fed him anything but hay. when do i reintroduce pelleted food and at what amounts.

thank you so much for the information Pipp! i couldn't have done it without you!

WOW !!!!!that is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would not introduce pellets yet.

Possibly Pipp or Randy will have a suggestion on when to start pellets butI would personally hold off for a few days at least.

A lot of times we recommend the biosponge but often members are not able to get it in time or at all. this is truly wonderful . :D

I would probably wait thru the weekend before reintroducing pellets....and when you do, in a very small amount and increase slowlyto a proper amount. I don't feed many pellets at all....mainly hay.

I am thrilled that you were able to get BioSponge and that it worked. We have seen squirrels with "blow out diarrhea" turn around literally overnight. Same thing with cottontails. I think we were at least one of the first rehab groups to use BioSponge as part of our normal protocols. We are slowly getting the word out. I understand that a presentation was given at the national wildlife rehabbers symposium just a few weeks ago regarding the use of BioSponge.

Seeing this post is a great start to the day. Keep up the good work.

Randy

Excellent result, so pleased he made a good recovery. Upon reading about bio-sponge I am about to order some (may get powder..which is best?) and keep it on standby (and yes they will ship to the UK):)

Debacus wrote:
Excellent result, so pleased he made a good recovery. Upon reading about bio-sponge I am about to order some (may get powder..which is best?) and keep it on standby (and yes they will ship to the UK):)

thanks!

i cant speakfrom experiencefor the powder however, i do believe that if you are going to use the powder you need to use water and a syringe to get exact dosing. i found the paste to be very easy to use and it seems to me that it would be quicker and easier than syringing the dose into the bunnies mouth as you cant be sure the bunny receives all of the powder. plus based on my experience with the pedialyte syringing directly into the bunnies mouth, i would personally not want to go that route.

i should mention that i did get bit the first time shoving the paste into my bunnies mouth because he was scared. after that every dose has been easier and easier with no more bites. :biggrin:

randy could speak more about the powder.

ra7751 wrote:
I would probably wait thru the weekend before reintroducing pellets....and when you do, in a very small amount and increase slowlyto a proper amount. I don't feed many pellets at all....mainly hay.

I am thrilled that you were able to get BioSponge and that it worked. We have seen squirrels with "blow out diarrhea" turn around literally overnight. Same thing with cottontails. I think we were at least one of the first rehab groups to use BioSponge as part of our normal protocols. We are slowly getting the word out. I understand that a presentation was given at the national wildlife rehabbers symposium just a few weeks ago regarding the use of BioSponge.

Seeing this post is a great start to the day. Keep up the good work.

Randye
sorry for the double post however, i dont see a way to 'double quote'

thanks Randy! i will slowly reintroduce the pelleted food on monday. i am so happy the little guy is doing so well, so fast. glad my buns health started your day off right!:biggrin2:

edit: bad grammer.

So glad it seems that you're in the clear now. It's nice to see Bio-Sponge do it's stuff, since on the forum we've heard a lot about it but haven't actually followed a case where it was used, day by day. I would definitely get some metronidazole to have on hand if you can, especially if vet costs and availability are an issue in your area.

Can you please tell me the dosage. I have some but have not tried it. I have some baby cottontails on the way with eyes still closed. Have been with rescuer 5 days and she had them on puppy milk. I am a wildlife rehabber and trying to learn more on bunnies. Can you please tell me how much. Do not have them yet but the pic she texted me look as if they are about 45 grams in weight.
Thanks.
mary

Latest posts

Back