diarrhea in the buns (BioSponge Dosing )

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd131

Reaction score
i have a bunny that has some serious diarrhea. 10 weeks old NZxAmerican Chin.

fed ecotrition mixed with purina rabbit food as well as timothy hay.

what should i do?

Pull the pellets, push the hay. Being so young it should get alfalfa has as well as timothy.

Has anything changed? Did you just aquire the bunny? If so are you feeding the same type of pellets as it was eating before?

Do you have any real pumpkin only canned pumpkin? None with any seasoning or other stuff added? If so feed it some. It helps the gut movement and helps with hydration.

Is it drinking plenty? If not you can add a little sugar to help sweeten it.

Feed hay only diet, push lots of fluids (syringing if you have to) and get a good quality probiotic. Keeping him hydrated is very important as they lose a lot of fluids with diarrhea. Get some pedialyte from a pharmacy.

For young rabbits, diarrhea is considered an emergency, and vet care may be required. If he is not cleared up by morning, I would take him in.

How bad is the runny poo and how is his behaviour? Is he still perky and eating well? Any lethargy?

You can also give some baby gas medicine (active ingredient simithecone) like Oval.

-Dawn

bunnybunbunb wrote:
Pull the pellets, push the hay. Being so young it should get alfalfa has as well as timothy.

Has anything changed? Did you just aquire the bunny? If so are you feeding the same type of pellets as it was eating before?

Do you have any real pumpkin only canned pumpkin? None with any seasoning or other stuff added? If so feed it some. It helps the gut movement and helps with hydration.

Is it drinking plenty? If not you can add a little sugar to help sweeten it.

ok, i will buy alfalfa hay tomorrow. i purchased 4 bunnies 2 weeks ago from a local breeder. she gave me food and i have mixed it 50/50 today i went to 75/50. i dont have any canned pumpkin however, i will buy some tommorow. he seems to be drinking plenty. i will sweeten the water to be sure.

i am so worried about him.

I would personally avoid putting sugar in the water. Sugar will feed any bacteria growing in the gut, which is the most likely cause of his runny poops.

Pedialyte is excellent, and it is flavoured, which all my buns really like. You can put a tiny bit of natural juice in an extra bowl of water and leave the normal source of water plain.

-Dawn

aurora369 wrote:
I would personally avoid putting sugar in the water. Sugar will feed any bacteria growing in the gut, which is the most likely cause of his runny poops.

Pedialyte is excellent, and it is flavoured, which all my buns really like. You can put a tiny bit of natural juice in an extra bowl of water and leave the normal source of water plain.

-Dawn

thanks! what is the dosage of pedialyte for a 5lb rabbit? he is full of energy and does not seem lethargic at all. the stool is very liquid and runny.

i will be just sick if something happens to him. i wont be able to sleep all night now.

edit: i pulled the pellets and left only hay in the hutch. i will go and get alfalfa hay in the morning.

aurora369 wrote:

-Dawn

It is after 11 PM so I figure they could not get out and get any pedialyte. If it was not drinking a little sugar in the water is better than not drinking :)All nature, not from concentrate, juice in water would be even better. Heck, if you have to mash a fruit and make your own. I personally wish I had a juicer for them and me.

I have tried syringing before, it is not fun at all :grumpy:If they do not want to drink it they could choke and/or they and youget soaked.

bunnybunbunb wrote:
aurora369 wrote:

-Dawn

It is after 11 PM so I figure they could not get out and get any pedialyte. If it was not drinking a little sugar in the water is better than not drinking :)All nature, not from concentrate, juice in water would be even better. Heck, if you have to mash a fruit and make your own. I personally wish I had a juicer for them and me.

I have tried syringing before, it is not fun at all :grumpy:If they do not want to drink it they could choke and/or they and youget soaked.

i will add some orange juice to the water for overnight.

Ack, no sugar!

Here's the Library entry and a couple of articles. Read through them and try and ID the specific complex.

They have to be restricted to fiber and water.

You're in dangerous territory, he/she really will need hydration asap.

Diarrhea

Enteritis Complexes: Coccidiosis, Mucoid Enteropathy, and Enterotoxemia (Pamela Alley) - describes the different intestinal ailments that commonly cause diarrheain rabbits.
http://www.showbunny.com/gastrointestinal.htm

Intestinal Diseases -- Enterotoxemia, Tyzzer's Disease, Colibacillosis, Proliferative Enteropathy, Mucoid Enteropathy (Merck Vet Manual)
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/171319.htm

sas :clover:

Pipp wrote:
Ack, no sugar!

Here's the Library entry and a couple of articles. Read through them and try and ID the specific complex.

Diarrhea

Enteritis Complexes: Coccidiosis, Mucoid Enteropathy, and Enterotoxemia (Pamela Alley) - describes the different intestinal ailments that commonly cause diarrheain rabbits.

Intestinal Diseases -- Enterotoxemia, Tyzzer's Disease, Colibacillosis, Proliferative Enteropathy, Mucoid Enteropathy (Merck Vet Manual)

what are the chances the other rabbits are infected? i put them in seperate hutches only on monday. i am so worried. thanks for the information pipp.

I wouldn't give him alfalfa either. Best to read through the articles. Stick with the grass hay, the pedialyte, and bene-bac if you can get some. Best of all might be Critical Care, a supplement from the vet and some pet stores.

todd131 wrote:
Pipp wrote:
Ack, no sugar!

Diarrhea

what are the chances the other rabbits are infected? i put them in seperate hutches only on monday. i am so worried. thanks for the information pipp.
There is an incubation period :(Who knows how long is for whatever he has though. Unless we know what he has we can not know.

Pipp wrote:
I wouldn't give him alfalfa either. Best to read through the articles. Stick with the grass hay, the pedialyte, and bene-bac if you can get some. Best of all might be Critical Care, a supplement from the vet and some pet stores.

now that i think about it, compared to the other bunnies the male has always been less active so when i said he was not lethargic that was for him. when i think about it and compare, he has been lethargic the whole time.

i cant get that stuff until morning. according to the articles he could be dead by morning. i dont know what to do. OMG this stinks. poor little guy.

should i worry abou the other bunnies who were housed with him until 2 days ago? i am really scared.

I would give up to 100mL of pedialyte, as much as he will take. Honestly, I would take him to the vet tomorrow morning first. Young bunnies can die literally in a matter of hours from diarrhea. The dehydration is an issue, but also the toxins released by the bacteria that are proliferating in the digestive tract can cause lots of distress. Bad bacteria grow and reproduce in a digestive tract that has diarrhea, and they produce toxins that go into the bloodstream and can make the bunny's organs shut down.

So for overnight, just water and grass hay. I'd make sure he got at least 20ml of fluid into him tonight, and then take him to the vet in the morning. Make sure he stays warm and responsive. Any time he gets cold, listless, or doesn't respond to you touching him, talking to him, whatever he normally responds to, that's a bad sign and means to drive to the emergency vet.

If you can get your hands on this product, our resident expert/rehabber Randy is reporting great results with it in rabbits.

Bio-Sponge is an intestinal protectant designed to help support healthy intestinal function. Bio-Sponge has substantial capacity to adsorb and absorb toxins, viruses, bacteria and free radicals. A university showed that Bio-Sponge adsorbed 99% of clostridium difficile and clostridium perfringenstoxins in vitro. Veterinarians using Bio-Spinge for nutritional support of Parvo and as a post-operative safeguard against bacterial complications.

Ingredients: Di-Tri Octahedral Smectite and Filtered Water.

Recommendations for use: For oral administration as an aid in supporting healthy intestinal function in dogs and cats with intestinal disturbances.

i am trying to find the bio sponge in my area. there are a lot of horse farms about 30 miles from me so i am trying to get in touch with an equine vet for the product. in the meantime the stools are now brown, soft, jelly like, 'pellets.' the stool is clumped together with 5 or 6 of these soft 'pellets' stuck together.

That doesn't sound too bad. :) No 'poopy butt'? No watery diarrhea? The diet adjustment might just nip it in the bud -- whatever it is.

The biosponge stuff is pretty new, I'm having trouble getting at all in Canada, the few people who carry the small pet version it in the US don't ship here. I don't think the horse stuff is different, but best to ask. This is their website:

http://www.platinumperformance.com

Latest posts

Back