Diahrrea!?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
When feeding this morning, I saw that Buster has the runs. And I'm not talking just soft poo here, this is runny,and it smells really bad.He has it stuck to his butt, too. I tried to clean it off with vinegar and a clean rag, but I don't think I did a very good job.

I don't think I've ever actually had one of my rabbits have actual diarhea before, so other than try to keep him clean until I can get him to the vet I'm not sure what to do for him. Does anyone know of what might be causing this? And whatI should do until I can get him in tomorow? I'm terrified he will get flystrike. He doesn't have a lot of it in his cage, and there wasn't a whole lot on his butt, soI think it has just started.

I think your biggest concern for short term treatment until he can get to a vet is hydration. Give him some pedialyte.

Make sure he eats lots of hay as well.

It may just be his body responding to the stress of moving. He's eating new food now too, isn't he?

--Dawn

Poor Buster! ...I would take away his pellets, give him all the hay he wants. As Aurora369 said, Pedialyte and make sure he's drinking water.

Let us know what the vet says tomorrow.

Should I give him Pedialyte only, or add it to water, or even give him a separate bowl for the Ped? He already ate his pellets today, but I will give him extra hay. It's hot here too, in the 80's.

Dawn-would it still be the stress of moving, since he has been here since May 30? And he started the new feed that same day.

I would offer water and pedialyte in seperate bowls. So if he wants one or the other he's got a choice.

The stress may have also lowered his immune system, allowing something else to develop in the last two weeks.

May 30 was not too long ago, only two weeks. It could be part of his adjustment period. He's no longer terrified and feels somewhat safe but is still getting used to the new food and environement. But that's just my guess, no expert opinion.

--Dawn

Well,I gave hima separate bowl of Pedialyte, I don't know if he will drink it or not. It's the "artificial fruit" flavor, which is all I could find. He seemed a little droopy when I went to give it to him, I hope it's just becuase it's afternoon siesta time.

So sorry, GG, butI'mguessingthis is really serious. :( I have to check the Library, but it couldbea parasitic (or bacterial or viral?) infection of some kind, and/orimbalance-related cecal dysbiosis from something he ate. (I've been through the latter with Pipp, it was a battle).

The best -- and almost the only treatment -- is fiber, fiber and more fiber, and lots of hydration. You can also try a probiotic like Bene-bac (there are better ones, I'll look that up too). If he's not drinking the water or Pedialyte on his own you may have to force the issue.

But no treat tests, no pellets at all, nothing. Get him eating nothing but hay -- if you can dig up different kinds of hay to make him eat more, all the better.He can't have anything else at this stage, although if he's not eating hay or grass, canned pumpkin may help.

I'll try and dig up more info.

sas :pray:

EDITED for clarification...

How is he doing?

Is the runny stools in addition to normal looking poops? Or is his output totally liquid?

Best to keep up with thebutt baths. I would either by sitting him in a shallow tub of lukewarm water, or if you can,holding his bumunder a tap.I do that with the bunny on his back facing up, one hand on the chest pulled tight against my body, the other other where it's needed -- either under the butt with a smaller rabbit, or I have the butt actually resting in the sink and I use the other hand to steady the bunny or brush out goop.Definitely keep brushing him, that should keep the fly eggs from staying on him long enough to do damage.Cornstarch can helpwith adry bath.

And let me stress theprobiotics again.

He may be uncomfortable with a tummy ache, sokeep him warm and see if he appreciates anice long tummy massage.

Has his diet changed at all? It will be important to get to the bottom of his bottom problem. He may need antibiotics, or if it is a diet issue,just the fibre.

Do you have Critical Care handy?It is sort of a pellet slurry, but if he stops eating, it's highfiber and has the probiotics, etc, he'll need, so best to have it on hand.

sas :clover:

Make sure your vet does a test for coccidiosis. (Diarrhea plusa bad smell is usually a tip-off.) The stress of a new place can do that. Or it could be the new food, two weeks is still "new".

If you don't see him drinking, I'd syringe feed him the Pedialyte. Gotta keep him hydrated til you can get him to the vet.

(Do you have any probiotics? Critical Care? Canned pumpkin works good.)

Update: I have put him on hay only to eat, and he has Pedialyte. I am going to syringe some when I get done with this just to make sure he's getting it. He is going into the vet first thing tomorow morning, and I will try ot get a fecal sample to take with me. He is actually better today that he was, mabye becuase of the hay only, etc. He has normal poos right now, and I didn't see any fresh runny stuff in there this morning. I checked his butt, and nothing new has stuck to him since I cleaned him yesterday afternoon. He doesn't act uncomfortable, he was begging for pellets this morning, made me feel really bad for him. :(

One other question, how contagious could this be? I can't remember how coccidiosis spreads. Should I be feeding him last, hand washing, etc to make sure I don't spread it to the others?

Edit to add: I don't have any Critical Care, but I do have canned pumpkin. Should I be giving him that too?

Im glad to hear he's doing at least a little better.

Is he eating lots of hay? If so, I would keep giving him loads of hay and water and nothing else. If anything, maybe just a little bit of timothy pellets. There are costs and benefits to feeding both pumpkin and pellets right now- pumpkinwill have fiber and helpsrehydrate a bit,but it also hasmuch more carbs than timothy pellets. if it were my choice Id probably go witha tiny bit ofpellets first and see how he handles that.

Coccidea and other intestinal parasites can be very contagious. I would separate him from the others if you can and be sure to wash thoroughly after cleaning/holding him. Definitely get a fecal sample to take with you tomorrow so they can test it.

Hope he's well soon!

Back