Diaherrea (May be Mucoid Enteritis)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I have a young doe (about 3 months old) that has diaherrea today. I thought perhaps she'd had too much calf man a in her food last night (I just put in a tad bit) and I started her on canned pumpkin after I cleaned her up.

But when I went to pick her up and take her back to her cage later -she started kicking at me - and as she did so - her stomach was making sort of a gurggly sound - only it wasn't her stomach.

I can't put my finger on it - I've heard it described somewhere before.....but I can't think of it.

I'm going to not put her in her weanling cage but keep her with me fora bit. My current plan is to push fluids (pedialyte) and pumpkin to stop the diaherrea and keep her hydrated. I'm going to see if she'll eat pellets and I was going to treat her first dose of pedialyte with some probiotic to get her stomach back to the way it should be....

Anything else I should do? She's sort of young and small so I recognize this is an extremely urgent issue. I do have Corrid and I could treat her for cocci but it doesn't smell like what I've heard cocci smells like...

Peg

Hi Peg,

The poor baby. In good hands though!:) Are you sure it wasn't coming from the stomach? How do you know?Just curious. I would think that w/ having diaherra, her tummy would be upset and that is why it would be gurgly.:ponder:

Ok - I think I've found what I was looking for - I think it is ME (Mucoid Enteritis).

I found this about it:

[size=After a period of 12-48 hours at this stage, the young animal will be extremely weak and begin discharging a clear, jelly like substance that may even be formed into stool like pellets. The definitive diagnostic method for mucoid by the average rabbit breeder is to pick the animal up and shake it gently. If ME is present, this movement will produce a sound like a half-full Thermos bottle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone has ever dealt with this successfully - please PM me or post here.....I can tell its going to be a LONG night.

Peg
]

We use metronidazole for it but I've never dealt with tiny ones with it...more older buns....not sure if there are any pharmacological contraindications with using it on young animals
Dosage is (20 mg/kg by mouth every 12 hours) and hopefully you have flavored stuff as it is HORRID ...if you have injectible - all the better (same dosage)...but again check & confirm with your vet on dosages etc as I am not a vet, just been thru it a million times with the rescue buns

In addition you can also give cholestyramine (questran) - an ion exchange resin that helps bind bacterial toxins...it comes in a small packet of powed & is used in humans with high cholesterol

Also prevent dehydration, and add a gut mtoility drug (metoclopramide),a lonng with a high fiber diet (force feed critical care if necessary)

The termnow used forME ismucoid enteropathy. Tetracycline can help during outbreaks in the herd. Dehydration is also a concern.

Pam

Well - here is my dilemna....and I'm not sure what to do.

The kit is acting totally normal. Normal poops. Running and playing. Grooming herself. Being mad at me when I try to treat her.

I'm thinking that her food the night before was too rich with a higher than normal calf manna mixture. (I add calf manna and oatmeal to my feed because I almost lost my herd when I got a bad batch of food 18months ago). Art normally mixes the food and I had mixed it that night.After I did a couple of cages (hers was one of them) - I noticed that there was too much calf manna and I went back and remixed it better....

I'm going to keep an eye on her but at this point - she seems totally healthy.

Peg

Latest posts

Back