Diagnosis Needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bran

Reaction score
I have a lionhead rabbit. This is the timeline of events.

About two months ago, I had to remove a furball from her mouth. She had been shedding, and her hair fell off into her hay. Once I cleaned her cage and brushed her, there wasn't any more problem.

About a few weeks ago, a single streak of fur had disappeared on her back, exposing her skin. I thought nothing of it. Perhaps it was more shedding? However, I noted that her hair was full of what I assumed dandruff; white flakes of seemingly dead skin that I could not fully comb out.

A week ago, another spot, much larger, appeared. Fast forward to an hour ago, I noticed that her skin where the first area of fur loss occurred now has something black over it. It doesn't look like her skin, but rather something on top of her skin. The fur around the area seems to be full of small bits of debris from this area, and I noticed some exposed skin at the rear of this blackened area, suggesting that it was some sort of giant scab. However, it wasn't dry, it was actually really soft.

Could this be something forming in preparation for new fur growth? Sorry if that sounds like a really lame question, but I have no biological understanding of the processes necessary for a rabbit to regrow his or her coat. If not, what could it be, and what could I do to prevent any future problems and/or remedy the current problem? I plan on giving her a bath tomorrow, which I realize should only be done sparingly, as well as cleaning out her cage.

Thanks.

Sounds like fur mites, it's also known as walking dandruff because they mites look like dandruff.

Does it look anything like this?

222323_f260.jpg

Sorry, I've never dealt with it personally so I don't know how to deal with it, but identifying will probably help...

Could be mites, mange or ringworm have you noticed any itchy red welts or scaly patches on your own skin that don't seem to be going away quickly?? That would indicate ringworm, I know when my rabbit had mange I had to use sulfadene but I also went to the vet to find out for sure what it was.

@Kipcha Yes, it does look like that, however it's not that bad. It's only a single streak.

@CCWelch Nope, I have nothing of the sort.

Both the people at the vet and people at a pet store said that with her being young (7/12/10?) that it wasn't ideal to use mite medicine on her. The mite medicine they would have otherwise recommended was for cats and/or dogs. I thought it was a bad idea to give them mite medicine for cats or dogs anyway; some risk of them dying? Since they thought I wouldn't be safe doing that, they actually suggested I use Dawn Dish Detergent on her. That doesn't sound right, so can anyone verify if that's a legitimate method of mite-removal?

It works for fleas, it is worth a try and it won't hurt the bunny, That is what they use to clean all animals after oil spills.

bran wrote:
Both the people at the vet and people at a pet store said that with her being young (7/12/10?) that it wasn't ideal to use mite medicine on her. The mite medicine they would have otherwise recommended was for cats and/or dogs. I thought it was a bad idea to give them mite medicine for cats or dogs anyway; some risk of them dying? Since they thought I wouldn't be safe doing that, they actually suggested I use Dawn Dish Detergent on her. That doesn't sound right, so can anyone verify if that's a legitimate method of mite-removal?
If she is almost 9 months old, she is not too young. I can't remember if it is Advantage or Revolution, but they have a kitten formula that should be used for rabbits. Just don't use Frontline.....it is highly toxic to rabbits.

Okay. Thanks for the replies!

After some more investigating, I think the black spot might be her hair growing back in. It's way too soft to be a scab. I also took a flashlight and examined the back of her neck, and it seems she has fleas, not mites. They are easily visible, and compare to the picture of fleas pulled from a quick image search on the web. We also have three cats, all of which go outside, so it's definitely likely.

Now, the question shifts to how I give her a stress-free or minimally-stressful bath? I know only that I need to place a towel down in the bottom of the tub so she doesn't slip. How much Dawn should I use to ensure she doesn't get sick and the fleas are removed?

Got her bathed with minimal problems. The black spot on her back is new hair growing in. She only freaked out a bit when rinsed off. Her scabs from the fleas also bled a bit, but nothing bad. Let's hope they're gone.

The fleas won't be gone unless you treat the cats, the rabbit and the environment. A bath does nothing but get rid of the fleas on the animals but believe me there are tons in your house now. You have to attack fleas on all levels.

As much as I hate using chemicals on my pets when it comes to fleas I do because I have so many animals. The easiest thing to do is get Advantage and put it on the cats and rabbit. Then get a flea spray that kills adult, larvae and eggs and spray your floors, furniture and anywhere the cats lay. Wash the animals bedding and sprays the rabbits cage or pen area. Eggs fall off the animals and land where the animals are walking around.

The Advantage will be good for a month but spray the house 2-3 times in two week intervals.

If I remember right flea bombing will harm the rabbits, that is after the flea bomb has had time to get done fumigating the place. The fumes afterward would probably hurt the rabbits. I am not totally sure on this.

I would use Advantage kitten dose on the rabbits and also use it on the cats, and clean your entire place. Use the Advantage every month until the fleas are totally gone. That would be your safest bet to do that.

Latest posts

Back