Dexta is at the vet today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wytche

Reaction score
So Dexta is at the vet to be castrated. As the vet checks him over he announces that Dexta won't be castrated, but speyed instead. Yes Dexta is a her not a he :shock:

I have no issue about it of course as Dexta has become a really happy and friendly little bunny, but I've been preparing for a boy bunny lol and have been reading up mostly about them. So I guess now that Dexta's a "her" I'll have to reread. I'm hopping she doesn't change too much after the operation as she's a really cute little thing right now.

Gender Fairy, nice.:biggrin2:

She shouldn't change too much at all. I've not heard of too many changes behavior or mood wise after a spay. I say Dextra..:p

Well here's some more surprising news. Turns out Dexta's a hermaphrodite. He's resting now. He had a little bok choy and I'm keeping him in a quiet room for the night.

I have had one of those. Genetically female but with small deformed male parts. We suspect inbreeding in the one case I had. Due to her other deformities, we decided not to spay/neuter her. She had no sockets in her rear legs so she was a full rear splay. Her internal organs were also out of their normal location. And her cecum was rolled over on itself. We were concerned about hormonal responses as she aged and those concerns were well founded. While she lived a comfortable life for a few years, with appropriate adjustments for her disabilities.....her hormones exploded and she started growing. Not fat....but just body mass. Her weight doubled in months. Much like a downed horse, her size combined with her physical disabilites caused her organs to fail basically from self induced crush syndrome. This was a rare case....but I would suspect your primary concerns would be hormonal even post spay and neuter. But you have a truly unique rabbit.

Randy

In Dexta's case he had a vagina with testicles sitting up just inside, but no uterus. The vet desexed him and said he's perfectly healthy and what he called "an excellent bunny". He said he had to tie off the fallopian tubes and remove the testicles so it was kind of a combined operation, but he charged as if it was just a neutering which is half the cost of a spay.

That's cool. We got Nik-Nik from a shelter and with the ad "Mixed male mini". Of course we knew after we got her home, so she got a small name change as he was originally called Nick.

Latest posts

Back