Deworming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilangelhotots

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering what dewormer you use for a routine prevention of worms. Ivemectin paste? Do you do anything for prevention?

Thanks for the advice!

There is no "one size fits all" for routine worming as not all worms are sensitive to all wormers. However, taking into context what you are asking and also knowing the most common worms found in rabbits....fenbendazole (panacur) would probably be your best choice in my opinion.

Randy

Thanks for the info guys! So is Panacur a SubQ injection or given orally? Is there a dosing insert on the bottle(have a 3 pound bunny)? How often do you give it, monthly?

It is an oral paste. I'm not sure on the precise dosing for routine dosing (its 1 graduation of the syringe per 2.5kg, but that is for a 9 day dosing, for cure rather than prevention). It comes already in the little clicking syringe thing. You give it 2-4 times yearly.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

Panacur is an oral drug. It is available over the counter at most farm supply stores and is sold under various names....I think Safe Guard is one of the more popular. It comes in a paste but italso available in a suspensionand the paste can be suspended by a competent compounding professional. Like with any other drug or medical treatment, I would suggest you treat your rabbit only under the advice of a vet as there can be adverse effects from any treatment. There are several drugs that Panacur can react with and if there is a severe infection in some parts of the body...bad things can happen. Standard dosing is 20mg/kg.....so at your rabbit's weight....your rabbit will need about 28mg per dose. Calculating the paste is a little tricky if you are not familiar with formulating drug dosing....that is why a vet or health care professional is so important. For routine worming....I dose once every 10 days (this will incorporate the life cycle of the adults, the eggs and the eggs that hatch) for 3 rounds. If my rabbits were outside rabbits, I would probably do them maybe 4 times per year....and less if they are inside rabbits.

Randy

Latest posts

Back