Dewlap?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i dunno. i have a mini rex(Kweli) and another(Rue) but i don't know what breed she is. i will hopefully be postingpictures this weekend to find out.

Nicole

It depends on the breed.

Cali's (Flemish Giant) just starting to develop hers and she's just over a year old.

-Carolyn

Shows how little I know about rabbits . . . Ididn't know only females had dewlaps. My New Zealand White got hers atabout six months. She's not an affectionate rabbit, but shelets me scratch behind her ears. Sometimes I move from the ears tounder her chin and play with that extra skin/fat/fur of her dewlap.After 20 seconds or so she nudges my hand back up to her ears. Cute!

Nancy

It that true? Only female buns have dewlaps ... Cause my bun has one, but he is suppose to be a boy bun ????

:ponder:

I have a castor mini-rex that is 3 months old and she is developing a

dew lap now. I think it depends on the individual rabbit. I have some

does that are over a year old and they don't have one.

I think that a dewlap on a buck might be more of a double chin LOL.

Roger L.

bluebird wrote:
No,many breeds ,Netherland dwarfs included are not supposedto have dewlaps.bluebird
Although some breeds that aren't supposed to get them doanyway. Carolyn's Fauna is a holland lop, and she has areally cute dewlap. Fey, my dwarf hotot, has a smallone. I was told she is purebred but unshowable, and she lookslike she is lacking the dwarf gene to me. Maybe that's partof where the dewlap came from? Her true dwarf sister doesn'thave one.

I know there's been some debate about dewlaps, their purpose and why females have them.

My doe doesn't have one, she's a Mini Rex/Holland Lop mix. She's over ayear old now and I have no idea if she'll even develop one.

Some does will get them and somewon't. I breed Dutch and Jersey Woolies and only a couple ofmy rabbits have them. Some breeds fault on having a dewlapand others it is not allowed at all and is a DQ.

My 9 month old Dutch just recently starteddeveloping hers. It is really cute, but at first I wasworried that she was getting too plump. DUH! It'sher dewlap. (My mom pointed that out to me) :p

Star is spayed and for some silly reason I thought she would never get one...??!!! (I know...DUH!) heeeheeee

my rabbit is one year old she has just developeda dewlap over the past two months.what are they for and what do they doi have been wondering this for a while now.

maxine wrote:
myrabbit is one year old she has just developed a dewlap over the pasttwo months.what are they for and what do they do i have been wonderingthis for a while now.
I think the dewlaps are a source of extra fur. When a rabbitis pregnant, she will pull fur from her dewlap to build a nest...

P.S. Welcome aboard! :D

thankyou. so they dont actually do anything then.could you tell me how i get smiley faces etc i dont know how

Latest posts

Back