Dewlap appeared in 5 hours

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosieleon

Reaction score
I posted in the wrong area the other day about Poppets supposed Dewlap.

In the morning she had nothing then when I got home 5 hours later she had a definite large ring around her neck under her chin. Looking on the forum and online I though it might be a dewlap but can only see them developing slowly.

She was spayed the next day and I got the vet to feel her over to see if there were lumps. He said he was suprised "It's like growing breasts overnight" but on finding no discomfort or lumps could only assume it was a dewlap.

Yesterday the "dewlap" was more pronounced on one side and alot less on the other.

I will take her back to the vets when she is well enough to be moved to check over the wound and will mention about the dewlap but I have some questions for the forum;

1. anyone heard of a sudden dewlap?
2. to those who have experience with dewlaps do they change shape (like in Poppet's case where it has gone down on one side)
3. Is there any other conditions that may lead to a swollen neck but no signs of discomfort (eg. allergic reaction) that I could put to the vet.

I think my vet is more used to cats and dogs and not really wanting to be turned away again if it could be something else.

Thanks in advance

OneTwoThree wrote:
You should find an exotic animal vet, I would be worried.

I have been searching online but can't find anything. I can ask to see one of the other vets in the practice (one was good in the way she handled her when I first got Poppet)

she is eating and drinking well now (went down a bit after the surgery on Tuesday) and she is 6 months old.

Another thing that might help is she has been itching one of her ears quite a bit, I had a look in hem and there were no signs of mites or redness/flaky skin etc. dont know if they can be linked

There definitely is no lumps in it. Again it is slightly different today. Just waiting on the Vet opening on Monday to phone them and see is I can get an appointment on Monday morning.

Saw the vet and he gave me drops for a waxy ear. He had a very thorough check and there are no lumps and she wasnt uncomforttable.

He did point out that she is a very fluffy bunny and if she has been scratching her ear so much maybe she is fluffing up her fur. It did go down a bit while she was too tired and sore to scratch her ear after surgery but it is bigger today and I have noticed she has been scratching more today

Hopefully it is just this!

If you can't find a rabbit vet, you could try your local humane shelter/SPCA. Since most shelters adopt out rabbits, they should have contact information for a good rabbit vet nearby.

Latest posts

Back