Desperately Need Help/Advice

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lop_lover

Reaction score
I'm glad to have found a forum dedicated to rabbits, especially with a community as active as this.

Dec 2003 our family brought two Holland lop bucks into our home thatwere not litter mates. “Shadow” was born Oct 15, 2003 and“Usa” was born Nov 17, 2003.

These are our 5th and 6th rabbits and our previous bunnies were both bucks that bonded and were the best of friends.

Initially, our new bunnies had a lot of fun playing ‘chase’ and ‘followthe leader’, but then the hormones cut in. Shadow wasconstantly trying to hump Usa. Usa decided he had enough anda spat took place. We tried to keep them separated as much aspossible until they were both neutered. However, the badfeelings continue and every time they are let out together Usa attacksShadow (who now more often than not takes the abuse or runs and hides).We have tied keeping them in separate rooms, but that hasn’tresolved it. Note that each has a large dog cage for a “home”with a potty box, water bottle, food, toys and a towel for a blanket.We’ve tried putting the others blanket or potty box in theopposite cage to get them familiar with each others scent.We’ve had them swap cages, we’ve done supervised outings andstill the problem continues to escalate. At this point theonly two options are to give Usa to another home or have him put tosleep. We have tied to find another family for him, but noneof the situations sound very good and we would rather have him put tosleep than to suffer in a bad environment.

So anyone that has anything to say, please feel free to share with us,we want this to work out so much butwe can't see any otheroptions.

That's a very touchy situation...It sounds likeyou've tried everything I could think of and more...I'm sorry I don'thave any advice for you but I do hope that someone else has a good Ideaso that this can all work out well for you and both bunnies...

Best of luck from Us :?

Have you gotten them neutered yet? It was notclear in the post. They are both past 6 months and should beno problem having it done now. If they haven't been yetputting one down seems a little premature. However, if theneutering has taken place and they are still going at it, they probablywill not bond. Rather than having one put down, have youtried putting an ad in the paper to give him away? We have afree advertising paper and it is a good way to find buns new homes, orsee if there is a rescue group who would take him? There aremany groups on the internet and ways to find such groups in yourarea. Donna

trekcip5 wrote:
Have you gotten them neutered yet? It was not clear in thepost. They are both past 6 months and should be no problemhaving it done now. If they haven't been yet putting one downseems a little premature. However, if the neutering has takenplace and they are still going at it, they probably will notbond. Rather than having one put down, have you tried puttingan ad in the paper to give him away? We have a freeadvertising paper and it is a good way to find buns new homes, or seeif there is a rescue group who would take him? There are manygroups on the internet and ways to find such groups in yourarea. Donna
Yes both of them were neutered over a month ago at the sametime. We realize that they will not bond at this point butare somewhat worried about giving Usa to another family, due to theuncertainty of the situation that we will be placing him in.Also, for putting him in a rescue group we are worried that his pastbad experiences with Shadow will carry over to other rabbits making itvery hard for him to get along with any other ones which might causethem to give him away and then the process could repeat over andover. We only want Usa to be happy, and having him go fromhome to home to home would be absolutly horrible and would not want toinflict that on a rabbit.

Thank you both Depatie and trekcip5, we appricate your interest in our situation and your well wishes.

I don't 'think it's a good idea to swapcages...rabbits are territorial, and they like their little homes theway they have it. I might make things worse to have them dothat again...just a suggestion.

Have you tried bringing them together in a neutralenvironment, with something as a barrier between them? thatway, they will not know the area, and they cannot hurt oneanother...they could possibly learn to tolerate oneanother.

Please do not put Usa to sleep. Is it possible tojust bring them out at separate times? I have a male rabbit,who lives with my fiance. His roommate also has a malerabbit, but they have never met, and live in opposite sides of thehouse...this works fine for us because they have separate areas and arenever in the same room at the same time. In fact, we neverbring one rabbit into another's territory. Again, pleasedon't resort to putting Usa down. Be patient with him, and inthe meantime, try to look into a local rabbit rescue. I'msure you'll find something near you who will take him in and find him ahome looking for a single rabbit.

Good luck! -Carrie

With all the options available between shelters,the House Rabbit Society, and others that are willing to take abandonedrabbits, I would hope that you would think twice before putting USAdown. It's such a waste.Certainly yours isn't theonly home that USA could thrive in.

Since time is not of the essence,surely you can find ahome/rescue group/shelter that would happily takeUSA.If you have a 4-H Club,check with them and see if they'd have any suggestions orknow of anyone that might take on USA. Ask your veterinarianto post a picture on their bulletin asking if someone would adopthim.

There are a lot of options if you really wish to save his life.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back