DESPERATE FOR HELP!!! sudden marking/spraying issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emay75

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Im really desperate for help here. I've done so much research and so far nothing is helping.

My rabbit Lemon is coming up five years old. He is not neutered.
I've recently bought him into my flat, after he was living at my parent's house in my old bedroom for the summer as a free roam. Before the summer, he was at my friend's house, also living free roam, while i was in university accomodation for a year. Before that, he was with me at my parents house for many years.

After bringing him to my new flat, he has started peeing on my bed every time i leave the room. Today he even sprayed my bedroom walls. I've tried vinegar spray, i've tried putting cloth in his cage overnight and then putting it on my bed to mark his scent, i've tried putting crinkly plastic on my bed to scare him off. he pees every single time.
the confusing thing is i never even sleep in this bed at night as i prefer to sleep in my partner's bed, so it would smell less like me than my bed did when i lived at home.

he has never exhibited this behaviour before, even in my friend's room last year.
im at a loss for what to do here.
he now has a decent sized cage that he is in during the day, but i ensure he gets at least 5 hours roam time every night and even some mornings.
is he suddenly marking my bed because he doesn't like being locked up during the day? is he marking because the bed doesn't smell like me?

PLEASE any guidance is greatly appreciated as if this behaviour continues he won't be allowed any unsupervised free roam time and potentially will have to return to my parents house...

thank you so much

It could be any of those reasons, it could be being in a new home with new territory to mark, or it could be something like protest peeing because of being taken from his previous home. If he's upset about being moved to a new place, this could be his way to express his discontent. Unfortunately there's really no way to know what's going on in those little bunny brains of theirs :p

For whatever reason he's doing it, the options are: getting him neutered and see if that makes a difference, block access to your bed with wire pet paneling that's high enough to prevent him jumping over onto the bed, shut the door to the room so he can't come in(if possible), or cover the bed with a waterproof covering. It's also possible that given a few weeks in this new place, he'll settle down and return to normal.

Latest posts

Back