Desperate for Bonded Rabbit Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohbunnies

Reaction score
Forgive me if there is already a post on here talking about this- I did look through the bonding info and also through the forums but I couldn't find anything that could possibly help me.

I have three rabbits that have been getting along great for the last 6 months or so- two spayed females and one neutered male. It took some work getting them to like each other. One female, Mama, and the male, Houdini, live together in a cage, while the other female, Fat Pants, lives in a separate cage BUT they are all out together during the day. Mama does get grumpy with Fat Pants occasionally but usually, Mama will just chase her out of their hiding space, and it's done, and doesn't happen often at all.

Well, I recently picked up a 5 months old Holland Lop to bond with Fat Pants- IT'S GOING WELL! They get along great. On their first "date" he was cleaning Fat Pants, she let him. He did chase her, but he isn't fixed yet, so I'm assuming once he is fixed this will stop. He just wants to mount her and she's skittish about it- although she does let him and is not afraid.

The problem is- now the other two are attacking her. Both Mama and Houdini (the bonded pair) are chasing her around, and Mama is actually grunting. I can no longer have them all out together while I'm not around because I can't trust them not to fight.

The new bun is NOT in the same room- we have him separated in his own cage and do not plan to introduce him until we get him fixed and healed. I'm sure they have smelled him on her, and I'm wondering if that is the problem.

I do not know what to do. Is it possible to bond two separate pairs, and then have them all get along? I want Mama and Houdini together, and Fat Pants and new bunny together. However, I would like them to be able to be out together where I don't have to worry about fights.

Is this possible and how do I go about doing it? I'm patient and am willing to work with them! I just don't know where to start!

From what other people have posted, a trio isn't that easy to put together, so congratulations on that. So you might not be able to go beyond 2 pairs. When they are reintroduced, it should be on neutral ground, or maybe in the new bun's turf.

My best guess would be that the others smell the unfixed male on her and are chasing her because of it. Forgive me for being vulgar but the smell of rabbit semen is pretty potent..I would try to encourage the bond between your male Holland and Fat Pants, then try to bond the four of them together. Baby steps.

:)

Thank you. I appreciate your replies.

It wasn't easy getting the three of them to get along, but the male gets along with both of the females and is pretty easy going. But as soon as Mama Bun gets aggressive, he reacts with her. I'm assuming this is because they are bonded. However, he is also SLIGHTLY bonded with Fat Pants- he lays with her, cleans her, eats with her, and hangs out with her when they're all out of their cages. Until recently that is.

I guess I will get my male Holland fixed and go from there and keep them separated until then. It's just so frustrating and disappointing to start at square one when they all got on so well together.

Thank you guys.

I had four does that would play when out of cages. two of them were both wanting to be alpha female when they would fight I would pick them up and put them back in their cages and they learned when you fight playtime ends. the other two were bonded.

Latest posts

Back