Derby is no longer an only rabbit child

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmas rabbit

Reaction score
As many of you know, we have only had one bunny at a time for years. Benjamin, Harley and last of all Derby. We now have added another bunny to our family. Her name is Elmira, MiMi for short. She is a almost 5 year old mini lop, grey in colour, neutered and very, very docile. Unlike I am afraid her house mate. She was an outside rabbit, up until about 8 months ago, when I stepped in and had her neutered. She had over the years 4 litters on bunnies and several bunny husbands. Her family decided when they were moving that they no longer wanted her. The kids spent time with her after her neutering, because I had insisted that she be allowed to spend her recovery and winter in the house. As soon as the weather warmed up, outside she went again and basically became an object that occassionally at the best, someone may talk to but other than that nothing. They say she was wild, that they couldn't catch her to pet her. So rather than have her go to the SPCA, we brought her home. At first she hid under her box if any one came around, but now she is beginning to realize no one is going to harm her, food is served regularly, pets and gentle voices are a norm and she has be given ( OH NO ) 1/3 of Derby's yard. We tried to bond them, she was willing, Derby was a brat, charging, growling generally terrorizing her. So MiMi has the back part of the house, a large area close to the kitchen, in the walkway between the study and the bathroom so people can talk to her, plus a large 8' x 10' study. She has a great big yard to run in and we brought her outside cage and put it in the actual enclosed area so that she can go inside something to get out of the wind and cold. Elmira goes outside when it gets sunny in the morning and is brought back in around dinner time for snuggles, supper and a safe place to sleep and relax.
elmira 6.jpg

elmira 7.jpg

elmirayard.jpg

mimi 1.jpg

Wow! I'm so happy for you guys! By the way, I absolutely LOVE Elmira's color; is it sable point, or frosty or what is it considered?? She reminds me a lot of my frosty Holland Jelly (rip) It's always so exciting having an addition to the family :)

Oh Alma, she is SO cute! Hopefully Mr. Derby comes around, I remember what a grumpy monkey he can be (Luckily he is just so darned adorable!) but surely he'll adjust as time goes on, especially with such a pretty lady now keeping him company. She's absoloutly beautiful.

Glad you took her, it could have wound up such a different situation for the poor girl.

ohh this is so exciting! she looks like a doll and glad there's one less rabbit at the ASPCA not getting a home.

Oh she is so adorable! I believe her color is smoke pearl chinchilla
Congratulations on your new bunny!

Back