Depressed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amber55

Reaction score
I can't let my rabbit out freely because he marks his territory everywhere but I bring him out everyday for about 3 hours more than once a day. I had just brought him in and he was in his cage fine but when i got back from taking a shower he looked sooo sad! Idk what happened he just lays there and he used to play with his toys and he had a good old time in there but he seems so depressed! How can I change this seeing him like this has made me miserable like maybe i wasnt cut out to be a rabbit owner :[.

Sometimes my bunny has off days where he just wants to lay around and be lazy. At first I thought he was a little depressed, but now I think that's just how he looks when he's tired. Lol. His face isn't as expressive as a dog, for example, so it's easy to read too much into his expressions.

With that said, check and make sure your bun is eating. Sudden changes in behavior can indicate a health issue. It may be just be part of his nature to act lazy sometimes, or it could be the sign of a bigger issue. If he stops eating or scrunches up in pain, I would call the vet.

And I don't think you're a bad rabbit owner at all! You obviously care about him a lot and want to do the best for him. I'm sure he'll be playful again in no time.

I think my bunnies look sadder after I put them back after their time out. They bite on the cage, lay around. I think they just enjoy being out more. :)

^^^ Like elrohwen said, i wouldn't worry. just watch and make sure the bunny is eating.

Please ignore the troll people, responding to him will only encourage him.

Anti-depressants are not metabolised the same in rabbits and will lead to liver and kidney break down, resulting in the death of your rabbit.

helo9 wrote:
Duncan Jones wrote:
i know this sounds crazy, but i've actually given some of my bunnies my own antidepressant meds, and it seemed to help a lot. give it a try if you have any!
honestly, that doesn't sound like such a bad idea
please ignore yet another troll.

Saudade wrote:
helo9 wrote:
Duncan Jones wrote:
i know this sounds crazy, but i've actually given some of my bunnies my own antidepressant meds, and it seemed to help a lot. give it a try if you have any!
honestly, that doesn't sound like such a bad idea
please ignore yet another troll.
i would never give him anything like that unless told to by the vet haha so dont worry i would never purposely kill my bun >:[ lol

Well he seems much better today hes been playing sence he got up so THANK GOD! lol I love my little baby :]
Nibbles041.jpg

:D

jewelwillow wrote:
He is sooooo pretty!!!!!!
Definitely need lots of pix as you have them.
What breed/colour is he officially?
AWWWW, so cute- washer bunny alert!!!!!!!
Oh i know hes a real cutie haha
I bought him at a fair so i really dont know alot of people on here agreed he looks like a fawn mini rex :]

5929_102387929771209_10000000006293.jpg

I posted that for another thread but its so cute. He does love me just not on camera where i have proof lol.
5929_102387926437876_10000000006293.jpg

So beautiful! Congrats! I wouldn't worry about it if he has 'off' days - my Penny does the same thing - very moody :)

Latest posts

Back