Dental surgery for 8.5 years old rabbit.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

Reaction score
My rabbit is 8.5 years old. Recently he had GI Stasis problem , fortunately he passed this condition with his vet fine treatment . His vet also recommended that he needs dental surgery cause Dental malocclusion grade 4 .Now the problem is I'm not sure Bonny can tolerate surgery risks and Anesthesia. Another problem is what can Bonny eat after surgery? cause I heard that they can't eat solid food anymore and this can cause GI Stasis problem again. His vet also said that he might face Jaw Fracture . Now with all these risks I don't know what I should do. I live in Iran and I don't access some medicines like rabbit probiotics. Bonny receives meloxicam daily for his teeth pain and he eats Alfa Alfa and greens and drinks water.

What does your vet want to do exactly? Where is the problem teeth-wise? The normal treatment for malocclusion is filing the overgrown teeth under anesthesia - the risk is the anesthesia, it won't stop the rabbit from eating normally afterwards but you'll have to do it regularly (some things can help wear the teeth down to avoid doing it too often, like cunipic dental). If the malocclusion concerns the incisors, it can be advisable to remove them so the problem is settled after just one operation. It won't stop the rabbit from eating solid food (you'll just have to cut the vegetables in smallish pieces but it won't stop him from eatin hay). If done by a knowledgable vet, this operation is not very risky except for the anesthesia which always carries its own risks. On the other hand, if the malocclusion is on the molars, most vets refuse to remove them because of the risk of jaw fracture - in that case, regular filing is generally advised (and the molars should NEVER be removed by opening the cheek to reach them).

Thank you for your answer, His vet wants to remove his molars from inside his mouth, (I don't know how many tooth he wants to remove but maybe more than 10) and trim them at the same time. Now my concern is after removing teeth he may not being able to eat Alfa Alfa anymore that can cause GI Stasis. I think his incisors will remain in his mouth.

What does your vet want to do exactly? Where is the problem teeth-wise? The normal treatment for malocclusion is filing the overgrown teeth under anesthesia - the risk is the anesthesia, it won't stop the rabbit from eating normally afterwards but you'll have to do it regularly (some things can help wear the teeth down to avoid doing it too often, like cunipic dental). If the malocclusion concerns the incisors, it can be advisable to remove them so the problem is settled after just one operation. It won't stop the rabbit from eating solid food (you'll just have to cut the vegetables in smallish pieces but it won't stop him from eatin hay). If done by a knowledgable vet, this operation is not very risky except for the anesthesia which always carries its own risks. On the other hand, if the malocclusion is on the molars, most vets refuse to remove them because of the risk of jaw fracture - in that case, regular filing is generally advised (and the molars should NEVER be removed by opening the cheek to reach them).

Thank you for your answer, His vet wants to remove his molars from inside his mouth, (I don't know how many tooth he wants to remove but maybe more than 10) and trim them at the same time. Now my concern is after removing teeth he may not being able to eat Alfa Alfa anymore that can cause GI Stasis. I think his incisors will remain in his mouth.

Latest posts

Back