Delilah is not pooping as much as normal....advise please!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envyme

Reaction score
Ok, I have Delilah and a few days ago I changed her kibble because I couldn't remember what type I bought her last time. So, I bought a similar pellet. Whenever I put pellets both buns Delilah and Peanut always eat all their pellets. Well, this time (a few days ago) they did not eat alll of them and Delilah did not finish her vegies (she always finishes them). Anyways, I brought Delilah in the room (not peanut) and then I left for work. When I returned I saw very few and tiny Light Brown (almost sandy colored) poops instead of her normal dark brown poops. So, I gave her a bit of pinapple and laster some baby gas medication and she seemed to poop more and the color eventually went back to dark brown but not enough poop in my opinion. I rushed her to the vet the other day to see if something was going wrong. I was told she chipped her tooth (on her cage from chewing) but that it did not expose anything and that could have happened at any time. He also felt her tummy for lumps and for other stuff and said seems fine, no temp, etc!

So, now she is eating her vegies, changed her pellets, and she seems to be doing better but her poop does not seem to be nearly as much as she usually poops. It is not two or 10 pellets but not a decent pile either.

I am worried. Any advise on why she would not be pooping the normal amount? I would say there are 20 or so poops from last night but not much for earlier yesterday maybe 12 poop pellets.

Thanks for your help!

The content of the pellets changes from brand to brand and that will affect the output. Are the ingredients, like fiber and protein the same? There can also be different 'filler' content.

Is she eating the same amount of hay? Some pellets are more or less filling and may make her eat more or less hay.

The way they chew also seems to affect it their output. Pipp's poops are quite different when she has a molar spur in the works, before she wears it down.

I've given up micro-managing Pipp's poops. These days they're mostly tiny little misshapen things, but after a year of this along with otherwise great health, I'm not too worried.

Variety is still the key to bunny diets. As long as they're getting a great assortment of pellets, hay and veggies, they should be getting the balance of nutrients they need.

You're an awesome bunny slave!

sas

Envyme wrote:
Ok, I have Delilah and a few days ago I changed her kibble because I couldn't remember what type I bought her last time. So, I bought a similar pellet. Whenever I put pellets both buns Delilah and Peanut always eat all their pellets. Well, this time (a few days ago) they did not eat alll of them and Delilah did not finish her vegies (she always finishes them). Anyways, I brought Delilah in the room (not peanut) and then I left for work. When I returned I saw very few and tiny Light Brown (almost sandy colored) poops instead of her normal dark brown poops. So, I gave her a bit of pinapple and laster some baby gas medication and she seemed to poop more and the color eventually went back to dark brown but not enough poop in my opinion. I rushed her to the vet the other day to see if something was going wrong. I was told she chipped her tooth (on her cage from chewing) but that it did not expose anything and that could have happened at any time. He also felt her tummy for lumps and for other stuff and said seems fine, no temp, etc!

So, now she is eating her vegies, changed her pellets, and she seems to be doing better but her poop does not seem to be nearly as much as she usually poops. It is not two or 10 pellets but not a decent pile either.

I am worried. Any advise on why she would not be pooping the normal amount? I would say there are 20 or so poops from last night but not much for earlier yesterday maybe 12 poop pellets.

Thanks for your help!
poopology--101...pipp said it best you-are very intune with your bun,,-i am a 5 yearstudent,,of poopology--i might qualify for poopologist-some day,,is the bun eating all the night poops.??-i feed purina rabbit chow-$18.per 50#-half cup daily,,-//-a non digestible fiber makes up 70% of the daily diet,ie.timothy/orchard grass-,thats the basics,,i-offer seasonal weeds like dandylions,clovers,grasses--but there are other vegy,s one can buy..//.the large poops are definetly preferable,,amount of poops may vary because the gi tract flora--meaning rabbits sometimes eat the day poops to balance out the flora,may have eaten too many night poops(cepetropes)-,,--you can feel the stomach and such and it will feel doughy,,not hard,,and massage the area starting at the stomach and working toward the exit area...let me know if this helps...sincerely james waller:wave:

Thank you both for your advise. ahh you are too funny poopologist....hehe...too cute! I feel the same way...like darn it I study my buns poop so much that I recognize the smallest things. I know it is a good thing but I am sure my BF thinks I am insane. :bunnydance:

Anyways, to answer your question there is some poop in her bed from last night and it seems to be back to the color it should be and all BUT she does not eat much of her hay I noticed. I dunno maybe she is being picky. She tends to be that way at times about her hay. She is eating it butnot alarge amount. Maybe she iseating more of her poops then normal. Her stomache did not feel as soft as Peanuts...I know the feeling you are referring to but not hard either. I would say in between.

It sounds like you measure the pellets so I doubt if you are giving too much .

Ihave noticed that the better the quality of the hay the moremy rabbit will eat of itespeciallybecause they are getting only a small amount of pellets daily.

What kind of hay are you feeding? is it fresh and green?

The hay I give is from a barn called Red Barn...a feed store and it is a mixture of oat mostly, and a little Alfalfa (for peanut) that Delilah sometimes munches on and Timothy. It looks green to me especially the Alfalfa. The Oat seems to be more tan colored on some pieces and on others it seems to be green too. I have been increasing her pellets the last few days as I read on another forum that sometimes it is very dangerous to limit them and can eventually lead to starvation...that of course is all a matter of who you talk to (I am sure).

Well, I don't really agree that limiting pellets will always lead to starvation. I know of some people whose bunnies don't eat pellets at all, just hay and occasional veggies, and it's very good for them. I personally only give 1T for each of my 4-5lb bunnies daily, more as a vitamin supplement than for calories. They also get a bit of veggies. A rabbit's diet should be mostly composed of hay, because that is the diet that rabbits evolved eating.

7 of my eight rabbits eat onlly 1/8 cup of pellets per day in addition to lots of hay and moderate greens.

There is no one here that is undernourished :)

Latest posts

Back