Delilah and Bella

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BACI

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been on the forum since we added Delilah to our Family in January 2006 and our lives have not been the same since. I finally have my computer and camera in the same place at the same time and oh the family is asleep so nothing can stop me now.

May I introduce Miss Delilah who has changed my life. All the research in the world could not have prepared me for her.

I researched bunnies for atleast a year before I brought her home. I have had rabbits before but never knew how much I did not know. Man those paperbacks are so misleading. I feel bad for the ones that came before her.

I planned to adopt from a rescue but was denied by a few because I have a 5yr old and was told rabbits and kids don't mix and when I sent a long and heartfelt email back to one of them they told me to apply to another and insisted when my son starts school I will be too busy with his baseball games or his school to take care of a rabbit. So I researched breeders and on an impulse stopped at a pet store, not planning to leave with a furry friend but just could not say no to her. The reason I am telling you this story is because on July 3rd Delilah just did not seem right. When I took her out of her cage to check her over she jumped out of my arms (luckily I was very close to the bed) and ran right to Nathan and curled up next to him. This child they all said would be such a danger to her is the one she loves the most. I admit children can be a danger to bunnies and I do have to remind him she is fragile, but even with all his noise and he plays with her toys, which irritates her at times, he is the one she felt safe next to when she was sick. Yes, I did put her back in her cage for the night... after a few attempts. If she only knew what a bed hog he is LOL:D

I am proud to say Delilah is feeling much better now and just when we were getting in sync with the syringe feeding. Lucky for her this was not the first bout of not eating so we were well versed in the art of doing this without pain. Delilah will be back to roaming the home and lounging where she pleases soon enough.

As we all know once you get one bunny you just can't resist the temptation of another. So, when someone posts a pic on the rescue section it makes you melt and of course when they are in your own state it makes it even harder to say no. That is how I came to know Cubby who since she did not respond to that name became Bella or in Italian "Beautiful". Bella was living with Gentle Giants for a few weeks becauseMyra was kind enough to take her in when her foster mom realized she was allergic to her. We are greatful to GG for posting the pics that melted my husband's heart, a task I thought was impossible. Him insist on adopting a pet ha, but he did. So, enough of my babbling here are updated pics of Miss Bella

I am leading with this pic as it is the most common occurance in our house. As soon as that cage door opens she is "outa here"

Lucky for her she has free roam of the kitchen atleast until we come to an understanding about the litter box. I think it is a toilet she thinks it leads to china. She does use it as long as there is not a strand of hay on the bottom of her cage. In other words all in the litter box with her. She also thinks spraying mom's stuff is kinda fun.

Slowly she is learning thatveggies are treats. Nathan is rather disappointed at her contempt for carrots. He tries to sneak her treats, but she takes one bite and leaves the evidence.

OH, You mean you were trying to take pics foof me???

This is as close as your getting to me with that thing. (above)

It's you again!!! I am outa breath, this is hard work you know. You try moving every time that strange woman just gets things in focus. Ha Ha isn't this fun.

Do you hear that? Its pellets, I know its pellets! Pellets, pellets, its gotta be pellets. Ahhhhhhhhhh my favorite. Forget that leafy green stuff I want pellets.

I've been waiting so long for this! Hooray for pics! :jumpforjoy:

Baci, I wonder if you could put some pics of Bella in the Rabbitry section to ask about her breed? I'm curious. Her face looks like Tank's (the mom of Rabbitgirl's Bub), so I wonder if she's mixed with Palomino? I know Gentle Giants said she was really small for a flemish.

naturestee wrote:
Baci, I wonder if you could put some pics of Bella in the Rabbitry section to ask about her breed? I'm curious. Her face looks like Tank's (the mom of Rabbitgirl's Bub), so I wonder if she's mixed with Palomino?
I was thinking along the same lines. I think she has a look of Elf, also a beautifulPalomino :)

Jan

I was thinking that too when I saw the photos. :)

Especially where you can see the lil white outline around her eye. :)

1DSC01143a.jpg

:thanks:I have been researching everywhere because I was sure she was not a flemish or if she was that it was a mix. When she looks away I swear she looks like "bambi" you know the movie.

I will post the pic in breeders. As far as her settling in she has decided Robert is her Dad and well I am just in the way. Oh well. She urinates on my things and listens to him for the most part. But hands down does not like to be touched. So that will take some time. :brownbunny

Ha Ha! I just read Robert the thread and he said so what does that mean? I said it means that we need to get another rabbit so I can say I have a flemmie of course.

:shock::wink: :nono:huh :bunny19Ha so how's that for fast on your feet?

:whatever

BACI wrote:
Ha Ha! I just read Robert the thread and he said so what does that mean? I said it means that we need to get another rabbit so I can say I have a flemmie of course.

:shock::wink: :nono:huh :bunny19Ha so how's that for fast on your feet?

:whatever
LOL!! Nice one! :highfive:

Jan

If you get a flemmie, you'd better be sure to shower us with pictures :D Delilah and Bella are beautiful. I agree that bunnies CAN coexist happily alongside children in the same home, aslong as the children are good listeners and are gentle. It sounds like your bunnies and your son are doing fine :)

Thank you!! We love them both no matter what breed they are. Delilah is very shy and we were just hoping for a little more affectionate bun, so I thought a flemmie was the ticket. Maybe over time bella will decide we are not all bad. I just read in a rabbit magazine that if they urinate on you or your stuff it is a compliment that they do that when they want the male to know they are ready to breed.

Or she's marking you as HER territory. :)

Can't believe I missed this blog, earlier! Thanks for the awesome pics.

Darry and to a lesser extent Radar don't like 'hands' but faces are okay. They'll actually nuzzle me. And they climb all over me, I just have to keep my hands away (unless there's treats in them). ;)

If I was more interested in bonding with them, I'd probably do the treat=pet and pet=treat thing and spend a lot more time on the floor with them, but they're happy with each other's company, they don't need me.

Keep up with the pics!

sas :)and the gang :bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance::bunnydance:

Latest posts

Back