Dehydrated Strawberries Galore

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellaterra214

Bellaterra214
Reaction score
Lately I have been try my hand at drying different things in the oven. So far I have tried strawberries, apples, sweet potatoes and bananas. My bananas stuck to the aluminium foil and the raw sweet potatoes got snubbed at as treat. I am going to try to steam and then dehydrate. Strawberries and apples came out deliciously, especially the apples with cinnamon. The one with cinnamon are for human consumption.

Below is a batch of strawberries I did today. 7.5 hours

IMG_20140410_120326.jpg

20140410_191019.jpg

P.S. All this drying is only happening because I have purchased my first mandolin. If I knew what I know now, I would have purchased a mondolin a looooooonnnnnnnngggggg time ago.

Drying some things out for treats for my little ones. I figured they would appreciate the texture differences. Anyone else dry in their ovens? What did you dry and how long did it take you? I have kale that I am going to try tomorrow, but since it involves a bit of olive oil and spices, it will only be for humans. Who am I kidding? I'll probably eat most of them. =)

Ew those dried strawberries look like lizard tongues! Lol I'm sure they taste heavenly though. Love me some strawberries, wish they weren't so expensive. *glares at "$16 per punnet" sign*

Isn't a mandolin a type of string instrument? What does that have to do with drying fruit o_0

Omg now that you mention it, they do look like little tongues. HAHAHA. A mandolin is an instrument, but a mandoline is the following (sorry about the typo). It allows you to make nice even slices.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...i_sku=SPM607087214&sid=IDx20131030xMPHMxCPA12

The buns love the strawberries. As much as I hate living in Southern California, I do have to admit the availability of almost anything at a reasonable price just around the corner makes living here worth it. I bought the box of strawberries for $15.99/6 little box things at the farmer market.

The picture of the oven with the strawberries before dried is 3 of those little box things. We ate the other three fresh. I am looking for some rainbow carrots to dry out. The multiple colors would look great even as a gift.

Isn't a mandolin a type of string instrument? What does that have to do with drying fruit o_0

Yes but its also a kitchen tool that slices things really thin. Thats a good idea of course between the kids and the bun fruit doesn't last long enough in my house to dry lol.

Hey whiskylollipop,

I just saw where you were from and I have a friend who lives in Christchurch and his girlfriends in your city. I couldn't believe how many earthquakes you guys get. We've been getting a few ourselves in the last two weeks and I live less than 3 miles from the La Habra epic center. 2 weekends ago it was crazy. We were having aftershock, after aftershocks starting Friday @ 9pm. It's has settled quite a bit, but we did get another small quake a few days ago. My buns were all thumping and acting super weird. Do your rabbits react at all to the quakes?

Right now you guys are in winter, no? Are they strawberry prices any better during your summers?

Oh I see! Sorry, not really a kitchen aficionado haha.

Hey whiskylollipop,

I just saw where you were from and I have a friend who lives in Christchurch and his girlfriends in your city. I couldn't believe how many earthquakes you guys get. We've been getting a few ourselves in the last two weeks and I live less than 3 miles from the La Habra epic center. 2 weekends ago it was crazy. We were having aftershock, after aftershocks starting Friday @ 9pm. It's has settled quite a bit, but we did get another small quake a few days ago. My buns were all thumping and acting super weird. Do your rabbits react at all to the quakes?

Right now you guys are in winter, no? Are they strawberry prices any better during your summers?

Aww, poor bunnies! Auckland central doesn't get much seismic activity actually. It's mostly Christchurch or Wellington that gets hit. We do get the occasional low-level rumble, but apart from crouching down in the corner with ears forward until it's over, my bunnies don't seem to be too fazed.

It is quite hard to alarm them though. They're not afraid of the vacuum and never seem to mind when we cook the sort of foods that smell up the house.

It's autumn now. Strawberry prices usually hover around the $13-16 range, and the punnets are small but the strawberries themselves look so big and fresh and glorious that it's extra painful for those of us who are university students and don't have a lot of cash to throw around! :tears2:

Latest posts

Back