Deciding on a cage for my new bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haleyxoxo

Reaction score
So I'm trying to decide on what kind of cage for the new member of my family.

I'm not really made of money but I don't want to deprive my new bunny of a safe and roomy place to live.

I thought about the Super Pet Giant cage. But it is 90 bucks. Would it be cheaper to make a NIC cage? Or should I just get the Super Pet cage?

Comments are appreciated. Any ideas are even better

Thanks

It would be cheaper to build a NIC cage but personally after having a pet giant and a NIC I would never go back to NIC.

And heres why

I kept Storm cage clean only one bun we cleaned it twice a week. We even wiped down the cage it self. When I took Storms cage apart to make room for him new cage. It was dirty like there was grime build up. Or something and a few people I have talked to said they had the same problem.

The benifit of the NIC cages are you can make them fit anywhere. You can make the shape size and everything.

The benifit of the Pet giant is that its keep your floor cleaner when there in the cage. And it look like a nice cage it is big. But you cant change it once it there.

I would suggest if your going to build a NIC cage for looks by black panels and black zip ties storm last NIC we did that and it looked alot better.

Here is a picture of storms Last NIC

SDC12196.jpg

And heres a picture of his Pet giant cage

SDC12209.jpg

They come in Blue if you order from Petsmart.
But if you have a local mom and pop store ask them to order it for you and you can choose between Blue and Green My house has green it everywhere of some shade so we chose green.

Hope that helps
Kat:bunnydance::bunnydance:

Thanks! That helps a lot actually. I live in an apt. They said we'd have to pay a pet fee for dogs and cats (like 600 dollars) But they didn't say anything abut bunnies. So she's gonna kind of me a secret pet. I mean if they find her out then I'll just pay but what they don't know can't hurt em right? So I really want to keep her as clean as possible. Thats playing a big factor is my decision. I need it to be clean.

Thanks so much for your help!

NIC cages are DEFINITELY cheaper, especially when you consider how BIG you can build them and that they can be built to suit your space.

I've noticed a lot of people build their NIC cages on top of theircarpet,with maybe some blankets or towels on top. I personallythink it's much cleaner (and easy to clean!) if youput a proper floorunderneath. I built Gus's cage on top of a piece of plywood covered with vinyl sticky tiles. Some people use coroplast. Other people use those plastic mats for under office chairs. Any of these, IMVHO, will be just as clean (and easy to clean) as any store-bought cage.

Gus's cage:

11037_371799915505_779545505_10143186_7823872_n.jpg

The other plus with NIC is if you need to clean behind a panel or whatever, all you need to do is snip the zip-ties, flip the panel up (or down) and clean behind it. Then zip-tie it back into place.

I found these two sites had very helpful instructionson building a good NIC cage:

http://www.rabbitcondo.com/

http://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm (scroll down to the bottom)

Hope that helps!

Rue

i didnt mean to say cages.. I know you gotta build them. We need something for our doe that haves a whole bedroom...lol...Thanks

About how big is one of those panels?

I thought about making a cage out of my old entertainment center. My husband and I just bought a whole new media set up for our living room for Christmas so I have an old wooden entertainment center that I was going to end up just throwing out. DO you think that would be big enough for a cage? the bottom is about 30x14. I could just cover the bottom with tiles or something.

Is this a dumb idea? I'm sure it will look way tacky but I don't care much about that haha.

Well my husband just decided to buy the store-bought cage. I think he was tired of me talking about it. haha. Thats just fine with me.

We're moving in June so I guess it would just be easier to move and such.

Well thanks for all the help guys!

Latest posts

Back