December babies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
I try to start a new topic for babies on a monthly basis...so here is December's topic.

Share your babies here...birth announcements, photos, etc. (Just no advertising).

I'm excited as I type this. Sundae is giving birth and another doe justgave birth and more does are nesting. These were breedings I did tohave show rabbits for Lionhead Nationals in May...so I'm pretty psyched.

Who else is having December babies?

Peg

Well, I should have had three litters ofDecember babies, but I have had the worst luck this month! I had twoFlemish does and one Mini Rex bred, right? Ok, so the first Flemishgives birth three days late, has one DOA kit. Which is wierd, cause shehas had a litter before, no problem. Second doe, the MR, has threekits, two apparently healthy and fiesty ones, and one DOA peanut. 24hours later, I go out and check, and they are dead.Can't figure thatone out either, cause they weren't cold or anything. Third doe justdidn't take.

So, ever the optimist, I'm trying again. I bred two of my MR doeslast night, and both of them will be first time moms, so I will bepretty tense about these two.

I was wondering, Tiny's Mom-I see you are from Texas? What is theweather like there? I do a lot of my breeding in the winter, but I haveto be pretty careful about keeping the kits warm. How do you do it, outof curiosity? Thanks.

Well, first of all, I'm really unusual as a breeder - not sure if that is good or bad.

My rabbits are (gasp) - in my house and in my garage. My does, favoritebucks and weanlings are in the sunroom (a 10' X 14' room) and thedining room has 7 cages.

The majority of my bucks are in my garage. I have an ad in the paper torehome a bunch of these guys this coming weekend....when I rehome myolder rabbits they're free - BUT - I talk to the people and I haveturned down people before who wanted rabbits. It doesn't hurt me toturn someone down and I will do it even if they get mad at me. I don'tcare - I'm looking out for the best home for the rabbits.

This time will be tough though as I may try to find homes for Spidey(who used to climb up the gate to get out), Fluffy (who likes toirritate Spidey since they're cages are back to back), Q-ball (aharlequin who HAS to get petted or he pitches a fit) and Houdini - whohas to be in a top cage or he gets out. I'm already crying at thethought of letting them go.

Anyway - how do I do it? Well for one thing, I tend to keep the lighton in the sunroom at least 16 hours per day if I plan on breeding. Thesunroom has something like 14 windows on 3 sides...so it isn't likethey don't get enough light and fresh air. We open about 5 windows whenit is nice out - and the back door is open to let fresh air in. I openthe front door to to air out the house.

Summers are harder for us than winters. My husband accused me offreezing him this summer - we kept a fan in the door to the garage andcontinually blew the air conditioning in there from the house. (Nowonder I had high bills). We're talking about having Art put in airducts before next summer (he used to work with a friend who had an acbusiness). I have a thermometer in my kitchen which tells me thetemperature in there - plus the temperature in the garage (there is amonitor in there). When the temp starts hitting 85 - I start breakingout frozen bottles. You have to understand - in June and July - we canhit 113 and higher almost all month long.

Last month was tough for us though. I had several does bred and thetemps would normally be around 70.....and then it dropped to almostfreezing. Even though we closed the windows...it still got cooler inthe rabbitry than I like - at least with babies in there. The does didgood at pulling fur but we still lost kits that had been born on thewire by new mamas - that I probably could've saved if it had been ournormal temps.

Anyway, that is what I do. Some folks have barns and use misters in the summer.

Art had talked me into building a shed for the rabbits - and then ourfriends at Mossy Possum had their rabbitry burn down this week andArt's first words to me were, "you're not gonna do the shed...are you?"I said, 'Nope. We can put tools in a shed - but the rabbits will stayhere."

My goal though is to get them all moved into the garage during Jan& Feb. Right now about 1/2 of the garage is made up of boxes..

And that's probably way more than you wanted to know.

But my goal is to drop down to about 75 rabbits at most after Lionhead Nationals and keep them in the garage.

By the way, my does at least get playtime and we're trying to designthe garage so the bucks will have play areas too so they can get outsometimes. However, many of my rabbits love staying in their cage andplaying with their toys and getting pets.

Peg

gentle giants wrote:
I was wondering,Tiny's Mom-I see you are from Texas? What is the weather like there? Ido a lot of my breeding in the winter, but I have to be pretty carefulabout keeping the kits warm. How do you do it, out of curiosity?Thanks.

Oh wow! You said you plan on DROPPING DOWN TO 75rabbits, and you have them in the house and garage? You must have a bighouse, there's no way I would have enough space even for my 20-30rabbits in my house! It must be so nice, though, nit to have to worryabout the temps in a barn... I have this dream of having a buiding thatis insulated enough I can keep the temps above freezing in the winter,and cool(er) in the summer... Of course, my Dear Hubby is not so niceas yours about my bunnies, he won't let me have even one in the house.I am sooo jealous right now! LOL

Truth be told - I may try to drop down to 50 orless. I do have a lot. Art says it is because I'm too picky about who Ilet take bunnies...and then they get older and people don't want them'cause they're not cute and cuddly. But excuse me...I have to thinkabout the rabbit!

Anyway, I'm doing a large number of breedings right now for Nationalsand I have waiting lists for some litters and then I will drop back toonly a couple of litters per month.

Sometimes it bothers me to see how much we spend in rabbit food, etc. -but then I think, "Wait, I could be gambling it...or smoking it...orusing drugs...(not that it would buy THAT much drugs I think)...butinstead, I'm using it for these furry little friends of mine."

Peg

Oh man...I just got one of those "YES"litters born. You know - you look in the nestbox and see the headsand rears and ears and go "Now THIS is what I wanted"?

I have five babies from a frosted pearl I bought earlier this year. Ibought her because she'd taken BOB or BOS (I forget which) under PamNock's judging...so I figured she HAD to be good.

I finally bred her to Island's Cousteau - a tort buck who took 9thplace in his very large class at Nationals. Mind you - he had barelyany mane and beat out others with mane because he has an awesome bodytype. (Mama has nice mane).

I'm sooo psyched about this litter.

As I type this, Butterscotch is frantically pulling fur for hernest....and Cocoa (who is also due tomorrow) is watching her as if tosay, "Hey....can I have some of that fur? I want to keep my chocolatefur for me...but you're a broken...so it won't matter where you'remissing fur"

Meanwhile, Rachel, who was due yesterday - is making me wait...and wait...and wait.

And Miss Bea - who made her nest 45 minutes before delivery last timeis looking at me like, "Nest? I don't need no stinking nestwoman.....stop watching me..". From watching her though - I suspect sheis in labor....or the babies are kicking REAL hard.

Peg

Leave it to my does...

Butterscotch made an awesome nest...tons of fur...looks really good.

So what does she do when she delivers (which I watched)?

She puts her head in the nest and has the babies in the cage...

I moved them into the nest....five babies - at least one broken - I'm so excited!

Peg

So are yours all lionheads, then? When is yourNationals? The two does I have bred right now are of course MR, the MRNationals are in April in Indiana, which by a lucky stroke is only twoor three hours away from me, or I wouldn't have a hope of going. As itis, I am desparately trying to scrape up every penny I can get ahold ofto pay for hotel room, entry fees, etc.

I hope I got all the typos in this picked out-I cut myself while Iwas feeding this am, and it's hard to type with a big clumsy bandage onyour middle finger! LOL

Our Nationals are in May. My goal is to presellat least 30 rabbits so that will pay for the gas, hotel, food,etc. It is a 2200 mile drive to Columbus, OH for us...so itis a long trip.

Thirty rabbits would pay our expenses plus some...and it would get my lionheads out there with the more well-known breeders.

Peg

P.S. Plus I'd have the fun of competing!

I mentioned earlier (I think in this thread?) having one of those "YES" litters the other day.

Well....I like these babies but they aren't quite what I thought theywould be. Still yet, I think they'll be pretty good.

Here are some photos.

December152006MinniesLitter004.jpg

December152006MinniesLitter002.jpg

December152006MinniesLitter001.jpg

I like this litter because the noses are not narrow and pointy and theears balance well with the heads. I also like the rears...

If you're following the "watch the lionheads grow" thread, I hope topost tomorrow new pictures of those litters and share why Nadia'slitter will be petted out but Calypso's litter will probably be showquality...

Peg

Latest posts

Back