Dealing with tats around eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchkin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I brought my new shelter adoption home last night and he has a verystiff tat in the corner of his eye - how would I best deal with it?
Luckily the vet said he didn't have mites - it was just from hismedication, but I can feel small tats under his fur (he is an agoutinetherland dwarf) and would appreciate advice on making his fur perfectagain.
He has been grooming himself non-stop since he got here but with hisfront inciscors removed, I guess he can't do it all himself.

He is an absolute doll and I'll post pictures tonight so you can see him.

thanks,

Cosy
x

I've never heard this term before :dunno...what exactly is a tat? (Once you describe it I'll probably know.)

Would love to see pics of your new baby! :D

Hehe - its like a clump of hair that is stucktogether and gone solid. Its really hard and right at the corner of hiseye as it joins his nose. Its annoying me but I'm not sure if cuttingit off is the right thing to do.

I've uploaded the pics of him - here's one:

:D

LOL...aaahhh! Now I know what you mean. Myrabbit Raph winds up with those too, as he cannot clean his face. Itake a bag of English Breakfast tea and steep it in some water, thencool it off until it's barely lukewarm. Itakeacloth and soak it in the tea waterand then hold itover the clumped areas, wiping his eyes and working on the solid mattsuntil they soften. Then I'll work at them with my fingers to break upthe clumps, soak them again with the tea, and dry the entire area witha towel.I don't know ifthe teaactuallyhelps in breaking up the clumps...it could be justthe warmth of the water that does it...but the tea does help to fightany infections that could be forming as a result of the clumps pullingthe skin.

Give it a try andsee if it works for you...it's the only thing I've been able to think of that helps with Raph. :)

***P.S. You're bunny is adorable! :inlove:

that sounds great - thank you so much for sharing your experience!
I'll definitely try that! ;)

He is adorable - I'm completely besotted with him, so glad you like him too :)

What a cute little muffin!

Give him some kisses and nose rubs for me!!!

I agree with Bassetluv, dampen them and gently try to remove.If they don't come of easily then wait a day or two and try again.

You may have to brush this little guy since his incisors are removedand he may not be able to pull the dead hairs out on his on.

--Dawn

Hey guys - back again for more advice.

The matted hair around his eye seems to be lifting in a clump right offthe skin - is this him trying to pull it off himself, or infection?Underneath is like a small bald patch.
Obviously the vets are closed, and I don't think its an emergency so tospeak but would like to put my mind at rest that the little guy is ok.He seems happy enough.

He might be having a low-level eye infection orplugged tear duct. Is there any obvious mucous, or just clearwetness? If it's clear wetness I'm voting for a tear ductproblem or allergies. The mat and bald spot is from theleaking tears matting the fur and irritating the skin.Continue trying to get the mat out following Bassetluv'sinstructions. Also, you can use a cloth with warm chamomiletea on it instead of plain water, as it may help reduce inflammation inthe skin.

Try to keep dusty stuff away from him. Shake his hay outbefore you give it to him and sift any dust out of his pellets.

I'm guessing you'll need to take him to a vet to get this tostop. He many need a tear duct flush, which is simple and*shouldn't* need anesthesia although may need a bit of sedationdepending on the vet's skills. My boy Loki has had tear ductissues in the past, and when his wouldn't clear up with the flushingthen a mild antibiotic eye ointment cleared it up. Apparentlythere was a minor secondary eye infection going on.

Hiya naturestee and thanks for the reply.

Ughhh - I had a horrible feeling it might be an infection. His hay hereis burgess excel which is dust extracted and his pellets are excel too.Hmm...he arrived here with the matt on his eye, and was being kept in adusty shed with hay that was dusty before I took him, so I guess thatswhats happened. I'll get him to the vets as soon as they open after theeaster holidays and try your suggestion later tonight.

There is a clump of something in his eye - I take it thats mucus? I'veremoved it yesterday but its back again today. Poor little scamp.

Why do these things happen in holidays? :shock:

naturestee wrote:
He might be having alow-level eye infection or plugged tear duct. Is there anyobvious mucous, or just clear wetness? If it's clear wetnessI'm voting for a tear duct problem or allergies. The mat andbald spot is from the leaking tears matting the fur and irritating theskin. Continue trying to get the mat out followingBassetluv's instructions. Also, you can use a cloth with warmchamomile tea on it instead of plain water, as it may help reduceinflammation in the skin.

Try to keep dusty stuff away from him. Shake his hay outbefore you give it to him and sift any dust out of his pellets.

I'm guessing you'll need to take him to a vet to get this tostop. He many need a tear duct flush, which is simple and*shouldn't* need anesthesia although may need a bit of sedationdepending on the vet's skills. My boy Loki has had tear ductissues in the past, and when his wouldn't clear up with the flushingthen a mild antibiotic eye ointment cleared it up. Apparentlythere was a minor secondary eye infection going on.

It doesn't sound like a major infection if hedoes have one. Especially with the dusty shed he was in, I'dbe suspecting a clogged tear duct/allergy problems unless a tear ductflushing doesn't clear it up.

He'll be fine if you wait till Monday to go to a vet.:)

Thanks hun - I just did a search for blockedtear duct online and you were spot on. I can't believe the vet that wastreating him at the shelter missed it, but I'll sort the little one outnow.

Thanks for your advice - I appreciated it and my mind is at ease know Iknow what it is. I'll take him to the vets as soon as the open, and gethim sorted. :)

No problem! JimD and I both deal withthis on a semi-regular basis. Thankfully my Loki hasn't had arecurrence for some time because I've been really careful about dust.

Latest posts

Back