Dealing with incontinence...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenk

Reaction score
How do you care for a bun with incontinence issues? (The lamby-fleece-type materials likely wouldn't be safe around my girl, who chews everything but micro-fleece blankets).

She literally became incontinent overnight, and a mass was found below one of her kidneys today. Regardless of what the blood work shows--and may help clarify what x-rays show--I clearly need to start working to keep my girl clean and dry. But I've never before cleaned a bun with urine all over the hindquarters.

Could someone please tell me the best way to clean/dry my girl?

Thank you,

Jenk

I heard of people using diapers for newborn babies and cutting a hole in it for the tail. You might need to experiment with sizes to get the right fit.
There are also diapers for dogs, both for incontinence and for with females are in heat. They come in sizes to fix most breeds. I think you do have to buy liners, but period pads could work too.

I think that you might have to give regular butt baths as well to keep her clean. How often would really depend on her. Shaving her tummy might also help so there isn't as much fur for the urine to stain.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
I heard of people using diapers for newborn babies and cutting a hole in it for the tail. You might need to experiment with sizes to get the right fit.
There are also diapers for dogs, both for incontinence and for with females are in heat. They come in sizes to fix most breeds. I think you do have to buy liners, but period pads could work too.
I wouldn't trust her with a diaper; she literally eats anything and everything that she shouldn't. She can't even be trusted around litter, which is why we have a grate on her litter box. (I've seen her suck down Care Fresh like it's candy.) Even worse, she has Cow-Pile Syndrome and, thus, things that would pass through most buns without a hitch irritate her gut lining and cause her more problems. :(

I think that you might have to give regular butt baths as well to keep her clean. How often would really depend on her. Shaving her tummy might also help so there isn't as much fur for the urine to stain.
I looked at the infirmary's list of medical issues but didn't find any instructions on giving a butt bath. Guess I'll see what Google may provide.

Here's a web page that outlines techniques for dry and wet "butt baths":

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/buttbath.html

With the cow pies, she is likely to have dried on fecal material embedded in her fur. When I give my splay legged girl a butt bath, I find it helpful to soak any hardened material with a wet wash cloth first. Then I can finish with the dry bath technique or the wet bath if she is really dirty.

If you don't soften the material first, the dry bath won't be able to remove it. Also the dried on material may cause the fur to mat close to the skin, so it may hurt if you try to remove it. It is much easier on the bunny to soften the material first.

You can put the rabbit in a trance position and apply a wet wash cloth for a few minutes. The wash cloth helps you control how large an area becomes wet.

Just be aware that once the fur is wet, any urine will go immediately to the skin. It is very important to dry the rabbit thoroughly and fluff the fur so the skin will have protection. If the fur has become badly matted, it may be best to trim it.

There is a group for disabled rabbits on Yahoo that might be helpful.

This web page has several links that might be helpful:

http://www.catsandrabbitsandmore.com/disabled_rabbits

You may want to have your vet show you how to express your rabbit's bladder. This can help avoid urine scald. If your rabbit does show signs of urine scald, ask your vet for Neopredef powder. This has an antibiotic, an anti-inflammatory medication and an analgesic. Raw skin can clear up in just a few applications of this medication.

Latest posts

Back