Deaf Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoBunny

Reaction score
Hey there,

It just occurred to me that my bun may be deaf. He's completely unresponsive to any sounds I make and has sort of been like that since he was a baby. I just went up behind him as he was relaxed and clapped loudly behind his ears but - nothing.

He is incredibly brave and nothing phases him but it seems like he'll only react to something if he sees it. Perhaps the bravery is from not hearing anything?

I just don't really know the difference between being super confident/ relaxed and deafness. :/

I figured out that one of my rabbits was deaf because I noticed when i put him outside in a big pen with my other rabbits, he was the only one that did not run and hide when the lawn mower man came- so I think you might be right if your rabbit doesn't show fear or startle at loud noises he just might be deaf.

I also can tell because when I crinkle a plastic bag with flax seed treats, all my other rabbit run to the front of their cage, but he just stays where he is until he sees me. If he is facing away from me sleeping he never even wakes up and the others do.

He is bonded with another rabbit now and I think he likes that because he follows here really closely and uses her to make up for his not being able to hear.

Last edited:
Aww that's sweet that he's bonded with the other bun. Mine sounds similar to yours Squidpop.

I'm not too worried, it's not like he has to listen out for eagles in our flat i guess it just hadn't occurred to me before. Perhaps he is deaf hehe or ridiculously chilled for a rabbit.

Back