deaf bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbaxter

Reaction score
[line]Doh just seen bad spelling in title cant work out how to edit it :grumpy:

Am going to the vets tomorrow,re the sore hocks that are a little better and to get advice/cream /drugs whatever necessary.:shock:

I have been concerned the last few days about wether Belle can actually hear,or has limited hearing,but with more incidences i am thinking she is deaf ,todays incident was a came back from the shops the dog is 3 feet from the buns barking madly as he does when he knows someone is near the front door,George looks edgey,and annoyed Belle is on her belly with both front and back legs stretched out relaxing and does not seem at all bothered by the racquet going on!!:tears2:

Also i`ve banged a tambourine and she doen`t jump at all!:?

I`ve had experience with a deaf Gpig which i`ve infact posted about replying to a post about a possible deaf bunny!

Please send Belle good thought for tomorrow,can a vet say for definate either way?Should i take them both as they are newly bonded they don`t stick together like glue infact act quite indepently and are more like best friends,would it be advisable to take just her or both ?

Hmm...maybe she is just very tolerable. I have no experiance with deaf bunnys but that makes me wonder about my girl...i thought she was just bull headed. but i can vaccumm right next to her and she wont budge and tell her no and she doesn't awknowledge it at all...

but best of luck,i hope she isnt deaf.

sbaxter wrote:
[line]Doh just seen bad spelling in title cant work out how to edit it :grumpy:
Fixed it for you :)

Me personally, I would take them both to the vet since they are newly-bonded and there are a lot of different smells etc there that *could* upset the relationship- my very bonded pairs I don't take together but they are both very much stuck-together-like-glue and I feel it would take a lot to unbond them, but that's just me!

Good luck at the vets tomorrow!

Even if she does have a hearing issue it really will not affect her quality of life in an indoor home where she is observed .

My rabbits do become used to loud noises if they hear it repetitively.

My husband was redoing the upstairs kitchen last year and had an air compressor up there (he was doing drywall or something)
he really would not work whileI was here becauseI was obsessing on what effect this would have on the rabbits.
I would come home to all this noise and the rabbits would all be relaxed and fine.

Ithink a new sound can be startling to a rabbit and sometimes cause a flight response whcih could lead to an injury soi would always be with them if possible when they are first hearing something.

2 of my rabbits are very comfortable with the vacuum cleaner noise almost to the extent that they come over to sniff the hose and want to find out what it is ..
but the other room ( 4 of the 5 of them) will "put up" with the loud noise but are not comfortable at all

We will love her just the same but need my mind put at rest that it is`nt something treatable and that nothing is irratating/hurting her,but this i doubt as she seems so happy otherwise :hug:

I have had three deaf bunnies. I didn't really do many things differently....but I got into the habit of flicking light switches before entering their space and would blow on them before touching them if I didn't think they were expecting it (this really only applied in some cases).

I noticed my first deaf one really benefited from a bunny friend. She read a lot of his language to know what was going on.

Our second one was more laid back and did ok on her own. Sure we startled her sometimes, but overall she was fine.

And Zayne, our new addition, is a work in progress.

kahlin wrote:
I have had three deaf bunnies. I didn't really do many things differently....but I got into the habit of flicking light switches before entering their space and would blow on them before touching them if I didn't think they were expecting it (this really only applied in some cases).

I noticed my first deaf one really benefited from a bunny friend. She read a lot of his language to know what was going on.

Our second one was more laid back and did ok on her own. Sure we startled her sometimes, but overall she was fine.

And Zayne, our new addition, is a work in progress.
Some good ideas here to deal with deafness

I have a lop also, and I've noticed that she is more easily startled by me walking into a room and less scared of noises than my boy who isn't a lop. Put your hands over your ears and notice how muffled everything is. I imagine that's what it's like to be a lop. I hope that's all that's wrong with Belle.

I hate to ruffle people's feathers for no reason, but hearing issues seems like an obvious reason to not breed lops. :(

I would just have her checked out when you have the option, since other things can lead to hearing loss. It is commonly said that lops are more laid back than other bunnies, and that could be because of the ears or some more common congenital deafness issues, or it could just be a temperament thing. A lot of people think their bunnies are deaf, but they really aren't doing the right tests. Bunnies often just sit there and don't move when they are scared--it's called freezing and it's a common response to fear in many prey animals--so loud noises might make them freeze instead of react in the way a human would.

That's a valid point. I've seen my bunnies do the freezing thing when they are scared and I guess I can understand how some people would take that to mean they are deaf.

I did a bunch of tests (banging stuff, etc) on our first bunny but found watching their behaviour was much more helpful in figuring it out. After our first bunny I knew what to watch for.

I would say that Lindor was 100% deaf. Teagan heard only highpitched sharp noises, and I don't know Zayne enough to decide how impaired her hearing is....just that it is.

I could understand the freezing but would she do it laid out with legs stuck out the back of her ,wouldn`t she jump to a sitting position?:?

Anyway am back from the vets and Belle was soo well behaved unlike George who i`m sure sure has a huge warning on his file!! Hates being held big time!! she was weighted and is around 3lb 2oz(doh forgot exact weight),She could do with gaining a bit more and recommended putting her in the carrier to have some extra pellets on her own, as George would probably eat more than her, that,her tummy was felt and no pain and hard poo`s felt.

Vet said can`t really test for deafness like in cats and dogs but commented how different she was from George,she laid like a baby in her arms! LOL.

So onto the hocks,she advised E45 cream,and the vet nurse is going to call to me, she too has house rabbit with same prob she also recommended keeping her on vet bed which you can buy off the roll.So have spent £7.19 on cream cost more than the kids pizza`s they had for tea lol.Nice to know though that the vets will recommend whats best and cheapest for us as i`m sure they could have prescribed something pet based and expense,if they were that way inclined.

sbaxter wrote:
Anyway am back from the vets and Belle was soo well behaved unlike George who i`m sure sure has a huge warning on his file!!

:roflmao:**** I was drinking when reading this and needless to say~projectile spraying all over my keyboard. Thanks!

So what did the vet say re: Belle's hearing? I know my 2 lops are very relaxed when I have the vacuum running. Also sometimes when I call them, they are in such a trance sleeping, they don't even know I'm in the room unless I touch them. (Unless they are ignoring me, just hoping I'll go away??)

I don't know about freezing when stretched out...mine have always gotten up a bit before doing the freeze stance.

I can always tell if one of my bunnies is frozen out of fear...their eyes get wide and their ears sort of stiff. I don't know, there's just a certain expression about them.

I guess now that I know what I'm looking for I find it hard not to notice the signs my bunnies have exhibited in regards to being deaf.

Helen sorry hope it wasn`t a hot drink!!

Well she said there`s no real way of telling if she`s deaf and as i suppose it`s not detremental to her overall health not to worry about it,it probably won`t worry Belle.Will chat with vet nurse who`s bunny bonkers maybe she`ll advice on it.

Latest posts

Back