Deaf Bunny?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EEEM

Reaction score
I'm concerned that one of my buns might be deaf.Concerned is the wrong word, really. He's great just the way he is andI don't think we'd change anything if we knew for certain he was deaf,he seems happy enough.

Do any of you know of some good tests to try out on him? I've done theclapping behind him, yelling his name, shaking the food bag (his pal,Judy, comes running, but Harold stays put unless he sees her on themove). I feel fairly certain he has a hearing problem. He doesn'trespond to any noise, not even the vacuum cleaner. I guess it'spossible he's just a very laid back bunny. He seems it in many otherways. He's definitely very curious and loves to follow me around theapartment.

I'm not sure of his breed, we adopted him from a rescue. He's about 6pounds, white with black spots, uppy ears. He's approximately 3 yearsold. I don't know of any previous health problems and the rescue hadnot diagnosed deafness. Judy is very sensitive to noise and the drasticbehavioral differences are what first tipped me off to the possibilityof a problem with Harold.

Any tips on special care to give him, or just sharing experiences with a deaf bunny? Is it a common problem?

I know someone with a deaf bunny. Idon't know the statistics, but there are things you have to keep an eyeon. I'll try to get more information from this person andpass it along to you :)

it's possiblethat he may be deaf. most rabbits respond in some way to loud noises.if he didn't do a thing when you loudly clapped/other he may have ahearing problem. just make sure that you're not scaring your other bunin your "testing." A Warm Welcome, have fun on theforum!

Ellie

"Normal" buns' ear often twitch around at varioussounds, sometimes independently of one another. It that isnever happending I would suspect deafness. Sudden loud noisefrom behind should elicit some ear movement, like banging on a pot witha spoon.

Buck

Judy tends to be more shy than Harold, so it'seasy to "test" Harold while Judy is off snooping elsewhere. Harold isthe sweety-bun who'll follow you around just for a small pat on thehead. Judy likes her space. She'll come for love when she pleases. :)I'm sure you all know the type. She dotes on Harold though. It'sadorable.

EEEM wrote:
I'm concerned that one of my buns might be deaf.

Any tips on special care to give him, or just sharing experiences with a deaf bunny? Is it a common problem?
Hey,

Deaf bunnies are really not all that "handicapped". I know.:pLife goes on pretty much as normal....they almost seemhappier, simpler, more obvious. Mine's aggressively affectionate, butthat could just be her.

The best test is:

Get out of sight

Make a noise with no vibration (yelling)

Then make a noise or do something that causes vibration (thump the floor)

Which gets a response? Do the ears twitch?

Is he hard to wake? Does he sleep very very soundly and seem more relaxed when sleeping?

I noticed several years ago that my young Holland lop could notbeawakened by noise....only touch or vibration. I can yellsix inches from her back with no response....but a light touch wakesher instantly. She likes to bang doors to get attention, because sheknows it makes me come running.;)

Her name is Pandmonium, and she is both deaf and partially blind(apparently)due to some bizarre genetic problems. Her motheris going deaf and blind as well. Her brother has normal sight andhearing but severe allergies and underdeveloped testicles. No morebreeding from that line!!!

Other than that, she's funny, happy, obnoxious, more than slightlystupid (nothing to do with the deafness...hehe) and very very loving.

297f7331.jpg

8933f33b.jpg

Rose

Thanks for the help. I definitely don't mind his"disability". We tried some more noise making tests to get hisattention, but he's pretty oblivious. He's a little startled by touch,but calms down quickly and settles in for more petting.

His eyesight seems fine, but I have wondered on occasion simply becausehe has blue eyes that sometimes have a bit of a spaced out look. Myguess is he just zones out sometimes, like some people. He candefinitely see movement and gets around fine, but do you know of anygenetic links to problems with ears and eyes of blue-eyed bunnies? Ihaven't ever seen another bunny with blue eyes... But then again, Ihaven't been around alot of rabbits in my life.

I don't have any experience with deaf rabbits,but I have 2 deaf ferrets, but they are great little men.Teeny has an attitude, and Nemo is just the best little guy.I found that you just have to make a few minor adjustments forthem. They can feel vibrations, so I often tap the floor bythem to get their attention so I don't startle them when I touchthem. Also, I've found that sometimes I get a little shockbecause they don't necessarily wake up when I come into the room, soI've checked for breathing several times.

Good luck with your bun....I think deafness won't be an issue at all for you.

Jen

Latest posts

Back