day 24

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrybuns

Reaction score
So it seems Fergie is pregnant she has been moody,hungry and hubby felt marbles in her tummy yesterday while he held her away from to clean her cage. She is fine with him but lunges at me when I go near the cage. She has bonded to my hubby so I am assuming that is why he doesn't bother her. He is building a nest box tonight. Are there any signs I should look for when labour will start soon? She is a black mini lop I believe and daddy is a blue tort lionhead mix so how many ish kits should I expect? I know there is a good chance they wont survive but I was curious nonetheless. I will post pics upon their arrival as long as things turn out well. Jasper and Vinny say goodbye to their balls on April fools day so no more kits after this as long as we keep the kits seperated once they are weaned.

Why will they probably not survive?

Rabbits are very quick with kindling, so sit back, relax, and she'll take care of it herself. They usually deliver on day 30-32, most times. You can expect probably 1-6 kits as a general estimate. :)

I was told most first litters don't make it. I am kinda excited now as they will be my own little b-day bunnies (April 4th is my b-day so they should be born a few days before :)

The first litter is sort of the trial litter. Some does take 3 times before they get it right. Not everyone is cut out to be a mom *wink*. I have a first time mom right now. Good nest and had them fine. Cleaned them well and fed them while she had them. However she had not fed them again so I held her over them lastnight until we where both tired and two babies was full and the other two almost full. Some does need help, others are naturals. Just think positive and keep your eyes open!

I will be watching her like crazy as this is the only litter...ok maybe the only litter if it proves to difficult for me I have always wanted to be a breeder but now is not the time and I have to choose a breed first to stick with lol. So it is Fergie's only litter anyways.

countrybuns wrote:
I was told most first litters don't make it. I am kinda excited now as they will be my own little b-day bunnies (April 4th is my b-day so they should be born a few days before :)
Good news- most first litters do make it.:D

I've been breeding for around 10 years now and have only had a few first litters fail. As many breeders will tell you, sometimes moms have trouble delivering the first litter or do not produce enough milk for things like that. But those situations would be exceptions, not norms. You don't have a lot to worry about. Momma knows best, so let her go and you may be pleasantly surprised with the result.:)

I hope so :) I noticed today that after dissinfecting the cage yesterday she turned her litter box into a nest with the exception of pulled fur and started peeing on the opposite corner. So I cleaned the cage again today and added a nest box. She went to work quickly to get the new nest box just right.

Latest posts

Back