Darn NIC grids!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mybunnybella

Reaction score
Well, I've been everywhere looking for these **** storage grids! Bunnings, masters, big W, target, Kmart, IKEA, costco, the reject shop... EVERYWHERE!!:X Im looking online and I cannot, for the life of me, find anything thats under $30 for 4 cubes! I want to live in the UK!!!! Anyway, Is there anywhere online i can get them cheaper? Or any aussies know where to buy them? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!:dunno:

wish I could help >< bunnings is the only aussie-specific place I can remember that sells them, I'm surprised you didn't find any there. I take it you guys don't have sears? that's the cheapest place to get them in the US.

Some people get them off of craigslist or at garage/yard sales here. If they're not as commonly sold there that might not be as good of an option, but it's something to consider.

Is there anywhere online i can get them cheaper?

I'm not sure what's available down under, but if you have an equivalent of our Home Depot - big-box lumber / plumbing / electrical stores - I'd look at pre-made wire shelving. It's available in various lengths and depths, so you can buy two 6 foot lengths, cut each at 4' and tie them together into a nice 2' x 4' cage. The material is much more sturdy than NIC cubes, and you can find them with a short "L" shaped part which makes a good support for a second floor.

The upper floor of Natasha's cage (originally Scone's - that's him in the picture) is made from that sort of wire shelving.

7648_141441_420000004.jpg

I'm not sure what's available down under, but if you have an equivalent of our Home Depot - big-box lumber / plumbing / electrical stores - I'd look at pre-made wire shelving. It's available in various lengths and depths, so you can buy two 6 foot lengths, cut each at 4' and tie them together into a nice 2' x 4' cage. The material is much more sturdy than NIC cubes, and you can find them with a short "L" shaped part which makes a good support for a second floor.

The upper floor of Natasha's cage (originally Scone's - that's him in the picture) is made from that sort of wire shelving.

7648_141441_420000004.jpg

Thats what I made my ferret cage out of. It works really well.

I was looking for them for months but I gave up... You can't get the in any stores!! I've been to about 5 bunnings (for other reasons.. I love bunnings!) Mookie doesn't really need them anyway she doesn't use her cage as it is... But i`d be very interested to know if you find them or what you end up using.. I like the shelf idea.. Of sure what the price would be like here though.. Maybe a shop fit out place would have them?

Mike,

How wide are your panels? I am looking to expand Cinabun's cage and this might be a good option for us! Do you have a top panel or are the panels tall/wide enough to prevent your bunny from jumping out?

Last edited:
Mike,

How wide are your panels? I am looking to expand Cinabun's cage and this might be a good option for us! Do you have a top panel or are the panels tall/wide enough to prevent your bunny from jumping out?

You can buy the shelving in quite long lengths - up to 10', I think. Since I was building a second floor for an existing cage which was 1 meter wide by half a meter deep (Macchioro cages are Italian, hence the metric measurements), I bought three four-foot lengths. One supplied the two half-meter (19.7") pieces for the ends, and the other two formed the sides.

The pieces are plenty tall enough to let a mini-rex bunny sit up comfortably. They come in different shelf depths, so I guess you can pick one which is deep (i.e. tall) enough for your rabbit. When she stands on her hind legs, Natasha can just peek out the top.

7648_191609_360000001.jpg

Actually, she could easily jump out, but Natasha doesn't show any interest in doing so. Scone did, once, and found himself locked out of his cage, so I do have a top to prevent that situation.

I re-used the old top from the original cage. It covered most of the top, and since I trimmed the long pieces down to 4 feet exactly for the sides, that gave me a leftover piece to fill in the gap on the top between the old cage top and the end.

Last edited:
Mike,

You can buy the shelving in quite long lengths - up to 10', I think. Since I was building a second floor for an existing cage which was 1 meter wide by half a meter deep (Macchioro cages are Italian, hence the metric measurements), I bought six-foot lengths. After I cut off the half-meter (19.7") pieces for the ends, that left about 4'4" for the sides.

The pieces are plenty tall enough to let a mini-rex bunny sit up comfortably. They come in different shelf depths, so I guess you can pick one which is deep (i.e. tall) enough for your rabbit. When she stands on her hind legs, Natasha can just peek out the top - it's the white part in the picture above (the original cage was black).

7648_191609_360000001.jpg

Actually, she could easily jump out, but Natasha doesn't show any interest in doing so. Scone did, once, and found himself locked out of his cage, so I do have a top to prevent that situation.

I re-used the old top from the original cage. It covered most of the top, and I used a leftover piece to fill in the gap on the top between the old cage top and the end. It's the white part of the top in the picture - the original cage top is the black part.

Latest posts

Back