Dark dots of 'something' in Sophies vent

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
I was giving the buns a checkover, and checked their bottoms and vents to make sure everything was looking ok, and saw what I thought was some dirt or specs of poo inside Sophies vent (genital opening). I dampened a cotton ear bud (q tip) with warm water and went to wipe the stuff away, but it didn't budge.

It looks like little round dots of dirt but it seems to be under her skin or a part of it. Anyone else seen this before? I will try and get a picture soon.

She's approx 5 months old, entire female, she's had no sexual contact with a male rabbit so I don't think it could be a STD, right? There is no swelling, smell, or anything oozing, nothing like that.

Will go and try for a picture now.

Michelle

Edited to add the pictures. I can't take very good ones as it's hard with only one hand to hold her, and my camera hasn't got a macro feature.

DSC08622.jpg

DSC08623.jpg

I've booked her in to see the vet but the soonest they can see her is in 3 days, so any advice or thoughts until then is much appreciated :).

My thoughts exactly Jim, "err" sums it up nicely.

I tried asking around a bit with rabbit owners around here, and one lady said she had it with a kit she bred once and not to worry about it. I'm stumped and google only comes up with stuff about adult toys when I try searching, which doesn't help.

Hopefully the vet can shed some light :).

Poppy has something similar right near the top of hers.. I thought you meant something else by it being dots! Could it just be a different colouration?

Thanks Spring and AngelnSnuffy :D, for your thoughts and supports!

Spring kindly took a picture of Poppys' vent and sent it too me, it would have been too big to post on here, so thanks very much for that. Sophie's definetly looks different, and looks different to any other female bits I have seen before. I know that their parts will darken and lighten with being receptive and not, but this is for sure little black dots.

I'm actually thinking that they remind me of teeny tiny blood blisters, sort of? I will update after the vet visit on Saturday.

NZminilops wrote:
She's approx 5 months old, entire female, she's had no sexual contact with a male rabbit so I don't think it could be a STD, right?

I'm not sure. How do different strains work? If the buck or doe before her had one wouldn't there be a slight possibility of it passing along? I do know in humans it is possible at times to pass on complications during natural birth.

The vet had no clue what it is, so, I just have to keep an eye on the area. He didn't want to have to put her under to cut such a delicate area and take samples, but he took a swab and if that shows any pre-cancerous cells or anything abnormal, then we'll discuss further treatment.

Latest posts

Back