Dangerous Litter??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlopsnWills

Reaction score
http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?cm_ven=null&cm_cat=null&cm_pla=unknown&cm_ite=null&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023694&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302030076&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441779068&bmUID=1158026421910

at a different rabbit forum i visit, someone i know lost her belovedfemale rabbit lastnight from a very sudden blockage. she thinks thereason was this litter, as it absorbs and it must've absorbed in herstomach.. she had only been using it for a few days. my question is,what makes pine pellets any different from cell sorb? could pinepellets cause blockages if our bunnies nibble on them? i'd like to knowall your opinions on this :)

My sister's rabbit died from a blockage (fromwhat is still unknown). Dispite her rabbit being on themedication for a while and seemingly getting better it didn't make it.

:sad: Please send mycondolences. Hmm, maybe I should check the other forums Iused to read. I might know her.

Was the bunny eating a lot of the litter? Part of the reasonI stopped using Carefresh (another recycled paper litter) is that Feyand Sprite thought it was pretty tasty. I have heard of otherrabbits getting blockages from eating various types oflitters. Essentially, if they are eating more that theoccasional nibble, it's probably best to switch to something different.

I think another problem might be the consistency of the litter whenwet. Wood pellets turn into sawdust when wet. Iwould think that would be relatively easy to push through theintestines. On the other hand, both brands of paper-basedlitter I've used stay in big soggy clumps.:?

Did a vet actually say it was a blockage? Could she feel itor was it visible in an xray? Lots of things can cause GIstasis including bacterial and viral infections. It's notunusual for a blockage to form because the intestines slowed down, notthe other way around.

Isthe ownergoing to have a necropsy done?That would tell her what the blockage was made of and if there were anyother factors. On an email list, I heard of a rabbit who wasnecropsied after dying of a blockage/stasis and an intestinal tumor wasfound. It blocked part of the intestine and made a blockagemuch more likely.

The first thing that my rabbits didwhen they were introduced to Woody Pet, was taste it. Butittastes really bad because all of the good tasting stuff has beenremoved during the processing.

It instantly dries out their mouth, too. Chippy was themost persistant at eating it and finally gave up after a few times. Shewould pick up a piece and start nibbling on it...and then she would getthis funny look on her face and wouldn't go near it for a while.

okay, so you think my boys are safe with equinefresh? i love that stuff so much and i would hate to go back to stuffthat isn't nearly absorbant and costs twice as much. she's writing aletter to the company to tell them how dangerous their litter is, butthat won't bring back her baby. i feel so bad for her and her bun. shesays she didn't see her eat it all, but that must've been the cause forsuch a quick blockage.. she was only using the litter for a week or twoand then all of the sudden, her stomach was as hard as a rock and shedied within minutes of finding her, trying to catch her breath.

Latest posts

Back