Dandruff or worse?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchkin

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just came home from the shelter and was holding little Digger who I plan to adopt. He is a one year old agouti netherland dwarf who has had his front teeth removed due to the previous owners neglecting him.

I noticed the other day a spot just at the back of his neck that was like a small clump of hair missing - right in the middle back of his head between the ears. I kinda thought it might just be from a bad diet, or something, but today when I was holding him I noticed he has some tiny white flakes of dandruff. Now he is taking some medicine twice a day - they administer it in his mouth, so he isn't in top health right now anyway...

Is this likely to be just dandruff due to bad diet and helath, or something more sinister?

I don't want to bring him home to my other rabbit if he has mites, but can I request the shelter to have him treated by a vet before I adopt him?

Thanks for any suggestions or information,

Cosy

Sounds like fur mites. You can ask the shelter to treat him, I'm sure they'd want to know anyway so they can prevent them from spreading. It's usually pretty easily treated by prescription meds that the shelter should have on hand(Ivermectin is the most common).

Thats what I was afraid of, but thanks for your fast answer! :) I'm wanting to bring him home so bad as he is all alone in a cage in a shed right now, but will have to make sure he is free of mites first I guess. Or is it ok to have him once he isn't around the other rabbit - for instance if he is in a different cage?

I'll talk to them on thursday when I'm up there and see if they are aware of it - everyone is so busy up there it's almost impossible to find someone to get things done :(

Definitely sounds like fur mites. I would have thought you could bring him home as long as he is separated from any other animals - if you ask the shelter they would probably let you know.

Starsky had Cheyletiella (walking dandruff) but Lacey, who never leaves his side, never got them but I think we were just lucky.He was treated with Ivermectin and was back to normal in a week or so.His fur has all grown back but he has patches of grey/white fur where the mites were!

Thanks rabb1tmad!

He was clinging on to me today when I was holding him, and the thought of leaving him there any longer than necessary is killing me. I get the home visit tomorrow evening, and hoped to have him home thursday if all goes to plan - I might even just take him to the vets myself so I can take him home sooner.....poor little thing is so lonely looking.

:(

Ah bless, he is obviously keen to go home too.Darn mites! The treatment I had at the vets was relatively cheap and if you really want him home then take him to a good vet and get him checked out.

Good luck :D

Thanks again!

Luckily Digger was going to see the vet this afternoon, and I mentioned the suspected mites, so they are going to have him checked over for them too.

Hopefully I'll have him home soon. :bunnydance:

Back