Damp paper towels for cleaning poopy butt?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrozenMarch

Reaction score
One of my baby/junior buns has a messy butt from neglected cecotropes. I'm already noting needing to add more fiber to their diet for the neglected cecotropes, but today I found that she has brown stains on her underside (which can't be easily seen unless she's lifted up). I've been looking at how to clean up messy bun butts, and I've read things like the dry bath (unfortunately don't have cornstarch on hand right now) and a butt bath (which honestly I'm a bit anxious to try since she's quite young and VERY squeamish with being held). I've read suggestions on using paper towels damped with lukewarm water, and I decided to go with that, patting under her butt while she's busy with a new hay refill.

I'm aware of how rabbits can go into shock from getting wet, and the info on wet bath where one uses water often makes note of make sure to dry off your rabbit to avoid shock, so my question is: will my "spot-cleaning" with the paper towels require some pretty "in-depth" drying too? My rabbits have had times where they've slipped their feet into water bowls from running around, and they seemed fine, but since the spot-cleaning is covering a bigger area than a rabbit's foot, I'm just a little worried :( (so far I've made sure to pat the places I've patted with the damp paper towels with a dry paper towel, but I just want to make sure because my anxiety is hitting very hard right now...) Also, will it be safe to have her in an air-conditioned room after the butt spot-cleaning?

(also, has anyone had experience with using hypoallergenic baby wipes for poopy butt? I think I've seen it mentioned somewhere, but since I'm not sure how to ensure the wipe is "lukewarm water" wet like with the paper towels, I'm kinda worried about that too, and would greatly appreciate anyone sharing any experience they have with using those)

Latest posts

Back