Daisy: I'm concerned about stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cirrustwi

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ugh! Last night when I went to feedthe buns, Daisy didn't come bounding over to her dish like she usuallydoes, she just sat in her litter box. I gave her someSimethicone and some Nutrical last night. This morning, sheis just about the same. Her pellets haven't beensignificantly touched. She was absolutely fine yesterdayearly afternoon.

I had to sleep last night, I've been sick and just couldn't stay awakewith her all night. And I have to go to Pittsburgh thisafternoon. Shawn is here and he rode up with me so I have totake him home because he has to fly tonight. I'm going tosearch for pumpkin right now. I'm thinking I'm out of it, buthopefully not. I'm going to give her some veggies too.

Jen

*HUGS*

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this again. But Daisy is incredibly lucky to have you watching out for her.

Praying for your girl, and sending positive thoughts your way.

:pray:

~Emily and the Fuzzbutts~

OH Jen not again ,that poor baby , sounds like it may betime for a complete Vet visit to findout just what is going on withher , this is way too soon for this to be happeningagain ! my goodness she just went thruita bit ago , Poor Baby , PoorYou , its so frustrating . (((( Hugs ))))Hon , Keep us posted ! .

Encourage her to run around as well, if she is willing.

Saying prayers, Jen. Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

My bunny gets thisevery year when shegets stasis..I've found a dab of CatLax on the finger and spread it onthe paw of your bunny will do the trick...

Yes, I said cat lax...my bunny is four years old and used it every yearand it's never hurt her yet...make sure you get this from the vet andit has to be cat lax..it's in a white tube with a cat on it...lol!

Just one dose a day works pretty well until the problem is resolved...also rub her tummy gently if the bunny will let you...

I also give her water by mouth in a syringe once in a while too...

I just got back home. She is actingthe same. Her cage was open all day, I know she came out someand actually did a few poops because there are a couple on the towel Iput down for her. I'm going to syringe some pumpkin into herif she won't eat it on her own and some water and the tetracycline.

Carolyn and M.E., Thanks! I can't believe this is happeningwith her. I'm trying to have faith that, like Abby, she'll beok.

Gypsy, it was actually Abby last time, but I am going to be making anappointment for Daisy this week. She has a hard somethingsticking out from around her ribs. I'm thinking maybe a bonespur, but we'll see. I'm really second guessing myself andgoing: could that have been there all along and I nevernoticed? I'll see what the vet says.

Jen

Don't forget the NutriCal, Jen. It's gotlaxatone in it as well as the nutrients and vitamins missing that she'snot getting from her pellets if she's off her feed. I thought it wasAbby that was your last one with stasis, or am I confusing you withsomeone else?

If it was just a couple of weeks ago that Daisy was having difficulty,it takes weeks for many to fully recover from it if they have a seriouscase of it.

I'd also give her a massage if you can.

It's very good to know that she did get out and did have somepeppercorns about. :) Exercise is important, if they are up to it.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

P.S. Just saw that it was Abby last time. (Glad I'm not losing it -yet.) I'll be eager to hear what the vet says about the lump. Will sayprayers. Poor little punkin!

You poor thing!! All wonderful advice has beenoffered and youre taking her to the vet on top of it, so I am sure shewill do just fine! Make sure you get some rest yourself hon. I willkeep the both of you in my prayers!!

I wanted to give a quick update before I go tosleep for a few hours. She is being a total brat about thewhole thing. (I'm really thankful for that,though.) She loves the Simethicone and even the Tetracyclineis going well. I put the Nutrical on her foot, so she willlick that off. She ate 2 Craisins. Now, thepumpkin, which she normally loves, is a different story! Isyringed it into the back of her mouth, the little brat held it in andworked it to the front of her mouth so she could spit it out.Oh!! I'm so irritated. I'll have to try againaround 4 when I get up again with her.

I have her sleeping in her own cage. She's a little morejumpy around the dogs and I don't think she needs the trauma ofsleeping in the same room as them. I don't think she's as badas Abby was, she's moving around more on her own. I have afeeling she's out of her cage all the time and runs in as soon as Icome into the room because she's always sitting right at the door.

Ok, I have to try to sleep some. I'm too worried to sleepwell, but at least since I've done this before, I'm not in a completepanic, so I can work through it.

Jen

cirrustwi wrote:
Now, the pumpkin, which she normally loves, is adifferent story! I syringed it into the back of her mouth,the little brat held it in and worked it to the front of her mouth soshe could spit it out. Oh!! I'm soirritated.
Jen
S'more did the same thing to me!! Silly bunnies....we're just trying to help them.

She's about the same. I'm starting toworry more. She's moving into my room where I can monitor herbetter. She is moving around ok and still has a fit when Itry to feed her. She hates me right now. She stillis mad about the pumpkin, I think I got a tiny bit into her today, butI'm still trying She's taking her medicine like atrooper. My poor girl. She's my first bun, so I'mreally upset about this right now.

Jen

Oh Jen ....:( Yougot Abby through this and will get Daisy through it too! I think herbeing feisty (even if it is frustrating) is probably a good sign! ...Ibet she'll really like being so close with her mommy now that you aretaking her in your room with you!

My worry is growing. She didn't reallyfight me at all tonight. She did try to run away when I sather down, but it wasn't her normal fight when I picked her backup. She sat super well for a nail clip (she was PAST due) andtrancing her was easier then usual. I can't decide if she'spooping or not. There are a few poops in her cage since Icleaned it about an hour ago, but Lily's cage is just above hers andsometimes she manages to get her poops to fall into Daisy'scage. I'm not sure how Lily does it, she's talented I guess.

We go to the vet in the morning. I don't want her to bestressed by the car trip, but I want to find out about thelump. My Mom, who has had all kinds of animals and seen allkinds of things and is a nurse, is pretty sure it's an umbilical herniaand that she's always had it, but I never noticed. She alsosaid that if there were intestines in it, as there could be, she wouldbe in significant pain and she just isn't showing any signs of pain.

:sad:

Jen

Well, we are home from the vet. Idon't know anything more now then I did before really. Thelump is a cyst, but it shouldn't be causing her any trouble.He will remove it when she has her spay, but didn't feel it needed donebefore then. He said her bowl sounds were just fine, a littlelouder on the right, but fine. And her teeth arefine. So we have no idea what her problem is. Heran some blood tests and we are waiting for the results.

I'm really frustrated. She's pooping a little, so she has tobe eating something and I just don't notice. He gave her ashot of Vitamin B and she is on Reglan and an antibiotic (I can'tremember which one and it's upstairs...I'll post what it islater). I'm just going to keep watching her and medicatingher and trying to get her to eat and drink.

Jen

I'm sorry for your frustration,Jen. I'm glad the news isn't dire, but still it'supsetting because you're not sure she's been helped.

Keep doing what you're doing and keep a close eye on her.Will be praying. Keep us posted on how she's doing.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back