cutting nails

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kathryn303

Reaction score
When can I start cutting Bunny's nails? She is now 12 weeks old. She is constantly scratching me and drawingblood. I have a few small scars already from her, and I don't want anymore. :(

At this age they generally have what I call needle nails, where they are not too long, yet very sharp.

Maybe try giving her something like a concrete tile that she can scratch on and wear her nails down. Cutting them at this age could be too young.

My smallest one definately has needle nails and she loves to climb over me - so I know what you mean about all the scratches and scars lol

You can cut them now, I have to do it at this age with my English Spots, their nails are razor sharp! They not only hurt anyone who handles them, but I have had a bunny scream after scratching herself too hard, so I'm sure it's more comfortable for them. You have to be VERY careful though, as there isn't much nail there and you don't want to cut the quick, just cut the very tip of the nail off. If she gets too stressed stop and give her a break and try again later.

Hi! I'll jump into this post rather than creating a new thread... I read about "bunnytrance" and became curious about how it looks and why the bunny does this? My bunnies have been still and stiff like dead the two times I've clipped their nails, is it because of this "trance"? I just thought they were scared. :shock:

Back