Cutting grass

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buns love to eat cut grass! So long as your lawn doesn't have pesticides or fertilizer on it, bun may like to "clean up" the area for you!

ok i thought so. Thanks. I wasnt sure if the grass gave off like a gas or something after you cut it. I was always told not to put my giunea pigs on the grass after you cut cause it can upset the tummy. I thought the same for bunnies. I guess i will be putting them outside in a bit.

Spring grass can be hard on their bellies because it contains more carbs than usual, but I would think by now that wouldn't be a concern. Too much of any one thing is bad--everything in moderation.

I always assumed that rabbits were like horses and guinea pigs and couldn't have any kind of grass that has been cut? Or do you just mean the grass that is still in the ground and not the trimmings...?

We always rake everything off the lawn before letting the buns out.

Well I looked into it some more, and apparently grass ferments quickly after being cut, so bunnies shouldn't be allowed to eat it. This is apparently especially true of grass cut by lawnmowers, which heat up the grass and speed up the fermentation.

tonyshuman wrote:
Well I looked into it some more, and apparently grass ferments quickly after being cut, so bunnies shouldn't be allowed to eat it. This is apparently especially true of grass cut by lawnmowers, which heat up the grass and speed up the fermentation.
:yeahthat:

The things to watch out for are eating wet spring grass and eating grass clippings. I always recommend pulling and not cutting clean fresh grass (which apparently messes with the cells), and never feed mower clippings.

I don't honestly know at what point it goes from being fermented grass to dried grass which is 'hay', though, lol! I've always found that confusing. What's the line between 'fermented' and dried?

sas :p

Wow, I guess I need to start raking my lawn before letting the buns loose. I had no idea!

Latest posts

Back